Help me fix my MTX 1000D, no sound, just static - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2009, 11:24 PM   #1
hakentt is offline hakentt  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Help me fix my MTX 1000D, no sound, just static

Bought this MTX 1000D monoblock from ebay broken. The amp powers on but there is no sound just static noise goes to speakers.
I checked all FETs they are all good, as well nothing looks burned on the board exept one diode that I checked and it is still good the D446 (MUR1540).
But looks like someone was fixing it, installed the capacitor 220uf on the U141 (THAT 2155) and also 50ohm resistor under it.

Does anybody know where I should start?

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 29th October 2009, 11:44 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Does LED238 light up?

Do you have a scope?

If that amp uses SSP45N20As in the audio section, clamp the power transistors down and never apply power without having them clamped down. If the output transistors fail, the amp may be VERY difficult to repair. These amps are VERY sensitive to changes and it's VERY difficult to find replacement FETs. Even if you find some NOS SSP45N20As, they may not work.
Old 30th October 2009, 02:35 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

LED does lite up. I don't have a scope. I just was testing it further, all FETs are clamped down, but buzzing noise was there, no sound, then all of a sudden all FETs from 436 to 441 labeled 75339P blew up, lit on fire! One of the ssp45N20a blew up too

Whats going on here

Last edited by hakentt; 30th October 2009 at 02:46 AM.
Old 30th October 2009, 02:45 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The power supply FETs failed. Did the output FETs fail also (do any read near 0 ohms from leg 2-3)?

Whenever working on an amplifier, you should always have a relatively small (~10-15 amp) fuse in the B+ line. It helps protect the amp from significant damage (generally).
Old 30th October 2009, 03:05 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Babin View Post
The power supply FETs failed. Did the output FETs fail also (do any read near 0 ohms from leg 2-3)?

Whenever working on an amplifier, you should always have a relatively small (~10-15 amp) fuse in the B+ line. It helps protect the amp from significant damage (generally).
good idea with the fuse thing, next time I will use it. Yes two output ssp45N20a blew up too, as well as all power FETs. Subwoofer blew too, this may be the cause.
But why did I have static noise before things blew up?
Old 30th October 2009, 03:11 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I don't think it's going to be practical to repair.

I can't determine the cause of the static with the limited information provided.
Old 30th October 2009, 03:23 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Babin View Post
I don't think it's going to be practical to repair.

I can't determine the cause of the static with the limited information provided.
I have extra power FETs but for ssp45N20a I have nothing, what would be OK replacement for them, I know you say they are hard to find
Old 30th October 2009, 03:31 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

These amps can be very difficult to repair when the outputs have to be replaced. Even when I have one on the bench, it can be very time consuming to repair. At one time, I considered making a clocked drive circuit board for them to make them easier to repair but I don't see enough of them to make it worth the time.
Old 30th October 2009, 03:38 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

With your help I have fixed the same version of MTX amps and they were totaly toasted too.
I fixed
MTX152
MTX302
MTX500D

So I don't know why are you giving up on me now.
Old 30th October 2009, 03:45 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

It's nothing personal. These amps can be very difficult to repair when the outputs need to be replaced. The other amps were easy to repair.

I learned the hard way that these aren't generally worth the time. I've tried exact replacements (NOS) as well as other FETs and generally had lots of problems. In the same amps, I tried a set of old, used outputs that were from another amp and the amps worked fine. I went back to the replacement/substitute outputs (including exact replacements) and the amps would not work properly.

Hide this!Advertise here!