Eclipse deck not spinning cd up, but will if I manually spin it. Needs a good clean?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alright, I have seen reference on websites that say eclipse decks that have been sitting need a manual cleaning. What does this consist of?

I have a CD8053 that I got, knowing it didn't read discs. I powered it up with the lid off and gave the disc a spin and it started reading no problem. It seems like it may be a situation where it needs to be cleaned out of old oil/grease or something like that. This deck is NOT giving me an INFO3 error.

Any thoughts? Ill send it to united radio if someone thinks that it needs actual service. It is in great shape and worth the money to fix.

Thanks

Evan

Sounds like the spindle motor (the one that spins the CD) needs to be cleaned.
I usually remove the motor completely(sometimes it can be a bit tedious) And since these motors don't usually come apart,I spray it inside with something to clean it out,I've used WD40,automotive brake cleaner,etc. I usually try to spray it with the lubricant last,so it has some kind of lube left in the bushings afterwards. (brake cleaner first,to clean it,then a bit of WD40,etc. to lube it.) Be sure to shake it out a bit,so there isn't standing liquid in there.Then I usually run it from a DC power supply (~3-5V) for a bit,and stop/start it a few times to make sure that it will reliably start on it's own.
Put it all back together and it should be good to go! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.