Fixing Alpine-3554

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I would think 1 regulator is evaporated, and also 2 mid sized caps. So chain of events are: Capacitor failing, exploded, regulator failed, heating and explode the area?

I keep wondering how it can get so much energy to evaporate that much area. The left over are black hardened gel (?) Hard to describe, on the heat sink.

Would anyone have a high-res picture of that area? Front side and backside? Im still considering whether I have enough experience to fix something like this.

Thanks everyone,
Ben

I don't think your capacitors exploded unless you spent a lot of time cleaning up the area. When electrolytic capacitors explode, it looks like the mess in the attached photo.

That gel is likely melted epoxy resin.

Attachments

• blownclosers.jpg
    blownclosers.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 188
The 3555 hole is from the rails. The rails go right through there on traces to the regulators. The bars take power over the top for the amp, but the traces burn to each other and roast the board there. The transistors start it for whatever reason, the caps were fine in mine. Most small caps blow and nothing much is left.

ALPINE 3554 REPAIR

Hello All,
I'm replacing ps transistors in an old school alpine 3554, and having problems locating enough of the original SANKEN d1065 units. I actually have 4 of these amps.

Can anyone suggest a source for the D1065 transistors, or maybe a close match substitution. I was looking at the Fairchild KSC5047TU as replacements. Will these work? Do I need to change the resistor values?

Any and all comments are welcome. I'm trying to put together an oldschool/new school SQL system using the ALPINES, and maybe a PUNCH 1000. Also considering a D-Class amp on subs.

Thnx SK, I looked at those. I was concerned that all would not be date code matched. I called the company for the listing and they confirmed my suspicions. They also tried to change the price per unit when I askes if I could order 20 pc. At that point I just dropped the call.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.