MTX MiTEK Thunder4250D blown - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2009, 07:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default MTX MiTEK Thunder4250D blown

Working on this Class-D 4250D. Had a shorted mosfet output, FET101 is the ID number. Replaced mosfet to see the speaker output pinned to one of the rails.

Q117 has a fairchild logo, marked D124 A42, no idea what type of transistor this is, but it is shorted. all resistors are in tact, no burns, no opens, checked them all out. everything A-OK here.

any ideas what the actual part number for Q117 would be? its an SOT-223 style SMD transistor by the way...

Last edited by mbates14; 22nd October 2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 22nd October 2009, 07:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Pzta42?
Old 22nd October 2009, 08:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

yea i figured it out. i replaced it too and it was still pegging the rail around 50v. then out of nowhere, it quit pegging the rail, but i still had rails.

Then the output mosfets exploaded again. lol. **** it. these are the worse amps made in history. i had another one before this with similar issues.
Old 22nd October 2009, 09:42 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

These aren't bad amps but you can't expect to repair one by replacing only a single part.

When you have a failed output, you should replace all of the ones working together (in this amp, all of them). In class AB amps, a leaking transistor (one that's defective but not shorted) will cause excessive current draw but you can generally shut the amp down before any damage is done. In class D amps, a leaking output can cause instantaneous failure of other outputs and driver components. That's why you need to replace them all.

I don't have anything on this amp but in similar amps, the following components fail:

* gate resistors (confirm that all are within tolerance)
* driver transistors (generally the smaller ones but sometimes the PZTA drivers)
* VAS transistor (Q115 and Q116?)
* High side supply transistor (Q114?)
* Low side supply transistor (Q110)
* Various other resistors (virtually always obvious when you look at them through a lighted magnifying glass).
Old 22nd October 2009, 10:48 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

yea theres something wrong somewhere... i been through all teh transistors, none are shorted or open. been through all the resistors, and they all appear to be within tolerance. only thing failed was that output transistor along with its driver Q117
Old 22nd October 2009, 10:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Also, all 6 of the R220s off the FETs are blown open now also, when the outputs shorted again.
Old 22nd October 2009, 11:01 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

It's nearly impossible to detect leaking transistor in the board. Any of the drivers or outputs could be leaking and causing problems. You'd need to pull and check them very carefully to determine if any are leaking.
Old 23rd October 2009, 01:15 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

need to figure out what "R220" means. 0.22ohms?
Old 23rd October 2009, 01:17 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Correct. 0.22 ohms 1% tolerance
Old 23rd October 2009, 01:24 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I might have to change the caps in the output circuit, they dont look so well either, the outter wrapper has shrunken down from the top. however they ESR fine.

Hide this!Advertise here!