the "oldest amp" thread - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2009, 04:39 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default the "oldest amp" thread

tsmith1315 suggested i start this thread in the kenwood kac-7020 thread.

so what is the oldest amp you have running, or plan on running?

i currently have sitting waiting to be tested is a kenwood kac-7020 which is from 86-87 time period.

what do you have?
Old 20th October 2009, 05:38 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Running? You didn't say they had to be in use!!!

The oldest amp I have in use is probably a Blaupunkt BPA-415, '84-'86 model. But in the pile, is this '79 Zapco:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 150L June 1979 40%.JPG (118.9 KB, 231 views)
Old 20th October 2009, 06:05 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

you know, nothing says "beefy" like those banana jacks do!

eta: tim, how about "working" amps? (in which case knocks me out until i get the kenwood going).

eta part 2: considering that it doesn't seem that amps of 15+ years are too often found, how about old amps? regardless of condition, they can be brought back to working condition.

Last edited by toobnoob; 20th October 2009 at 06:11 AM.
Old 20th October 2009, 03:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hmm...

How about oldest in the collection with supersized bonus points for actually being installed / in use?

BTW, the Zapco still works.
Old 21st October 2009, 04:28 AM   #5
damage is offline damage  United States
diyAudio Member

I dunno... I bet my green radio shack booster might have you beat LOL! New for 1978! 10 WPC RMS!

Boston was quoted as saying it was "Smokin'!"
Old 22nd October 2009, 12:30 AM   #6
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

How about a 1950s tube PA amp that runs on AC or 6V DC, with a v!brator to make plate voltage? Made in Ottawa, Canada. I rescued it from the dirt crawlspace of a house and since then it's been in unheated sheds, so I suspect it would need a lot of TLC to operate again. On the other hand, it would be cool to make it run and use it at some hot rod meet playing '50s Rock And Roll. On the other other hand, nobody would know if I hid a TA2024 board under the chassis and put amber LEDs inside junk tubes, and it would be stereo, more efficient, and operate from 12V.

The oldest amps I'd seriously consider running would be the circa 1994 Audiovox 4ch, and RF 4080DSM. Maybe the Pioneer GM-A200 if I was going with an all-'80s system for some reason. Or the MEI PA-300H, if I needed a system that not even a crackhead would steal.
Old 22nd October 2009, 03:12 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damage View Post
I dunno... I bet my green radio shack booster might have you beat LOL! New for 1978! 10 WPC RMS!
Yep, Let's see it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangus View Post
Or the MEI PA-300H, if I needed a system that not even a crackhead would steal.
...I guess you'd have to have experience with MEI to appreciate that...

Where are the pictures?
Old 23rd October 2009, 06:34 AM   #8
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

The MEI PA-300H was almost a good amp, believe it or not. The relay had to be resoldered after a while, but that's the only problem. There was a schematic in the manual, which clinched the deal for me. Transformer coupled output like the common "40 watt booster", but with RCA inputs. It made the 6x9s in my pickup thump, and made the mirror vibrate in the Mustang when I played Miami bass through a pair of JBL 6.5" two-ways (no sub). I'm embarrassed to think what I paid for it new, though.

It was in my truck when it got broken into overnight in Vancouver's infamous downtown East side. He/she or it took a set of cheap Canadian Tire wrenches and a Eurodance compilation tape, but amazingly did not steal the MEI amp, the ancient Alpine AM/FM/cassette head unit, or Radio Shack graphic equalizer. All of which were mounted to a single piece of scrap plywood and shoved under the seat. Yes, I should take pictures: the amp, eq, and 12V filter are still on that piece of plywood. Is there a thread for worst installs?
Old 24th October 2009, 02:26 AM   #9
damage is offline damage  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith1315 View Post
Yep, Let's see it!
all I can find is my later 40 watt one... darnit... too much stuff.
Old 26th October 2009, 12:19 AM   #10
ca90ss is offline ca90ss  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ca90ss Send a message via MSN to ca90ss Send a message via Yahoo to ca90ss
Oldest I plan on running is this old crutchfield from '84-'85.
Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!