the "oldest amp" thread

Running? You didn't say they had to be in use!!!

The oldest amp I have in use is probably a Blaupunkt BPA-415, '84-'86 model. But in the pile, is this '79 Zapco:

Attachments

• 150L June 1979 40%.JPG
    150L June 1979 40%.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 358
you know, nothing says "beefy" like those banana jacks do!

eta: tim, how about "working" amps? (in which case knocks me out until i get the kenwood going).

eta part 2: considering that it doesn't seem that amps of 15+ years are too often found, how about old amps? regardless of condition, they can be brought back to working condition.

Last edited:
How about a 1950s tube PA amp that runs on AC or 6V DC, with a v!brator to make plate voltage? Made in Ottawa, Canada. I rescued it from the dirt crawlspace of a house and since then it's been in unheated sheds, so I suspect it would need a lot of TLC to operate again. On the other hand, it would be cool to make it run and use it at some hot rod meet playing '50s Rock And Roll. On the other other hand, nobody would know if I hid a TA2024 board under the chassis and put amber LEDs inside junk tubes, and it would be stereo, more efficient, and operate from 12V.

The oldest amps I'd seriously consider running would be the circa 1994 Audiovox 4ch, and RF 4080DSM. Maybe the Pioneer GM-A200 if I was going with an all-'80s system for some reason. Or the MEI PA-300H, if I needed a system that not even a crackhead would steal.

The MEI PA-300H was almost a good amp, believe it or not. The relay had to be resoldered after a while, but that's the only problem. There was a schematic in the manual, which clinched the deal for me. Transformer coupled output like the common "40 watt booster", but with RCA inputs. It made the 6x9s in my pickup thump, and made the mirror vibrate in the Mustang when I played Miami bass through a pair of JBL 6.5" two-ways (no sub). I'm embarrassed to think what I paid for it new, though.

It was in my truck when it got broken into overnight in Vancouver's infamous downtown East side. He/she or it took a set of cheap Canadian Tire wrenches and a Eurodance compilation tape, but amazingly did not steal the MEI amp, the ancient Alpine AM/FM/cassette head unit, or Radio Shack graphic equalizer. All of which were mounted to a single piece of scrap plywood and shoved under the seat. Yes, I should take pictures: the amp, eq, and 12V filter are still on that piece of plywood. Is there a thread for worst installs?

Oldest Amplifier

I happened upon this new thread and I offer the following. The text below is from another DIYAUDIO thread about KT-88 amplifiers. I and another person decided to build the 60 watt 6550 amplfiers featured in a 1955 article in Radio-Electronics. I built the first one over the winter of 1958-1959 and the second one over the winter of 1959-1960. They are still running, daily. 1958 was the year of introducing stereo LPs to the market. It was natural that a second one had to be constructed. The pre-amps were single Heathkits (WA-P1, or something like that). All this hardware was installed in a rack cabinet. When I got married 5 years later, WAF set in and I had to get rid of the rack cabinet and got a Barzilay walnut console cabinet for all the equipment (new preamps, FM-AM tuner, tape recorder/playback, turntable, etc). The cabinet is still there but with upgrades through the years. But the 1959-1960 anmplifers are still pumping out power.

John

---------------------------------

I don't think you can go wrong with this one:
http://vacuumtubebrasil.profusehost....0operation.pdf

This was after Herbert Keroes and David Haller parted company, Hafler founding Dynaco and Keroes Acro Products. This amplifier uses the then-new 6550 and the Acro 330 OPT. Note that it has a vacuum tube rectifier.

I built two of these 50 years ago (!!!) and they are still very solid. I've variously used 6550s and KT-88s. Right now there are pairs of the Russian Gold Lion KT-88s in place. I used WWII surplus oil capacitors for the 500V KT-88 plates and electrolytics for the 6SN7 circuitry. Construction was with military-style terminal boards. I substituted the Dynaco 430 for the Acro 330 (The 430 was $30 then, the 330 was $40, big savings for a student at the time), The power transformers are surplused replacement transformers for the RCA 630 TV chassis. Surplused HV capacitors and power transformers were purchased at the original Radio Shack store in Boston (I'm estimating total cost for all to be $10 maximum)

Reliability through the years has been very good with minimal problems. Output tube replacement of course. Several years ago the electrolyics were replaced. Also, the inter-stage coupling capacitors were replaced (also stabilizing the output tube bias setting).

I'll never replace them.

John

tsmith1315 suggested i start this thread in the kenwood kac-7020 thread.

so what is the oldest amp you have running, or plan on running?

i currently have sitting waiting to be tested is a kenwood kac-7020 which is from 86-87 time period.

what do you have?

Oldest Amplifier

I'm sorry. I just submitted information about an old home audio amplifier. I did not note that this thread is for Car Audio. The best I can offer for this was the Blaupunkt Frankfurt radio I first had in a 1959 Porsche. It migrated to a 1962 Porsche where it stayed until the 1990s. I then installed a Pioneer AM/FM unit with cassette player. When I sold the car a few years ago the original Blaupunkt went along for use for originality in Concours competition. It was working then!!

The radio was all tube in the tuner section and with a separate chassis with transistors for the audio amplifer and the inverter (for the tube B+).

John

tsmith1315 suggested i start this thread in the kenwood kac-7020 thread.

so what is the oldest amp you have running, or plan on running?

i currently have sitting waiting to be tested is a kenwood kac-7020 which is from 86-87 time period.

what do you have?

I've used an alpine 3518 for a long time, I'd guess that to be an 80s amp and now I have two. They are alpine DIN only. Now have three blaupunkt BPA 260, I might run two on IB subs they were great for that. They are STK IC amps one of which I replaced having blown it running subs like 15+yr ago, just plain abusing it at 2 ohms 2x80rms. Have a harmon kardon ca260 and ca240 to try for fun, 260 not running yet. Not sure in year but they can't be that new. I have some boosters, one was the black clarion with the led on each side, 5 band, I recall those in the early 80s in people's cars. Pretty sure I have a beat up one without the led that works, I've not tried the larger one. Also have some other ancient things I've not checked yet. Do have a nice sparkomatic 7 band booster that worked when I last used it, maybe a kraco too.

I'm in the early stages of redoing most of my mobile sound system. I mentioned in another thread that I had a KAC-9020 on the subs. I remembered the wrong number. It was an 8020. All three amps are of the mid/late 80's. The Kenwood KAC-8020 (85 Watts RMS) was running 2-Cerwin Vega 25" DVC 4 ohm/coil until recently when one channel died. 6.5" component set up with Lanzar 6.5 and Rockford Fosgate FNP2401 3/4" tweeters were handled by the KAC-7020 (37 Watts RMS). And the 4" Kenwood dual cone mid range ran off a 15 watt/channel KAC-5020. All three amps plugged into a KGC-6040 13 band EG with Sub-out. Head unit has changed several times over the years. Three being Kenwood and the other one a Sony. The original Kenwood from the 80's was a shaft style radio/cassette!! I'll keep the 7020 working in the new set up as I have one adapter from DIN to RCA. The 8020 will run a 10" sub, 5020 a pair of small bookshelf speakers in my wood hobby shop. What's really funny is the 5 channel amp and 4 channel amp I purchased for the change cost me less than the 8020 retailed for back in the '80s!!!!! And I'll have 595 Watts instead of 137.

80s were when mosfets first came out enabling amplifiers that performed better then most today. It is also when most low noise Bjt and the 5534 and lf353 op amps were made.
Series 2 and 3 of irf530 and irf9530 were excellent for audio as they didn't oscillate easily.
Irf610 9610 series and irfp240 irfp9240 are roughly the same.
I am using these in my completely rebuilt SX 780 . The tuner is modifed leaving only the case stock now.

80s were when mosfets first came out enabling amplifiers that performed better then most today. It is also when most low noise Bjt and the 5534 and lf353 op amps were made.
Series 2 and 3 of irf530 and irf9530 were excellent for audio as they didn't oscillate easily.
Irf610 9610 series and irfp240 irfp9240 are roughly the same.
I am using these in my completely rebuilt SX 780 . The tuner is modifed leaving only the case stock now.
Would love to see some pictures of the SX780 and tuner!