diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Car Audio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-audio/)
-   -   will Being Mr cheap work this time? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/car-audio/153102-will-being-mr-cheap-work-time.html)

icecoolwas 8th October 2009 03:18 PM

will Being Mr cheap work this time?

ok so I really couldnt be bothered paying alot of $$$ for a run of 0/1, so what I did was I bought alot of oxygen free multi strand 16 gauge wires (20 specifically) off the internet long enough for the length of my car, when it arrives me and my pal are gunna line them up together, snip and strip the ends then twist them, use terminal rings, then twist the whole wires (so it kinda looks like a rope) then use cable ties to neaten it all up so its just a giant cable. now my question is, how much gauge is 10 16 gauge wires? if its good enough then damn i saved myself a helluva lot of cash.

Perry Babin 8th October 2009 03:39 PM

If the 16g strands are individually insulated, it's a fire hazard unless you use 20 fuses (one for each strand).

It would be approximately equivalent to 3g wire.

icecoolwas 8th October 2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry Babin (Post 1945031)
If the 16g strands are individually insulated, it's a fire hazard unless you use 20 fuses (one for each strand).

It would be approximately equivalent to 3g wire.

Couldnt I just use a massive fuse for the whole cable?

also just wondering how did you work out 3gauge? formula or calc u can share?

Thanks.

Perry Babin 8th October 2009 05:24 PM

If you use one fuse (chosen to protect a 3g wire) and the insulation for one strand is cut by a sharp piece of grounded metal (firewall, under seat...), that one strand will burn until the copper fuses open. This will likely ignite the insulation, carpet and any plastic panels in contact with the wire.

16g wire is ~2600 circular mils. 3g is ~52,000 circular mils.

icecoolwas 8th October 2009 06:05 PM

Hmm, What about a circuit breaker, should trip more better, also could use cable dressing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perry Babin (Post 1945109)
If you use one fuse (chosen to protect a 3g wire) and the insulation for one strand is cut by a sharp piece of grounded metal (firewall, under seat...), that one strand will burn until the copper fuses open. This will likely ignite the insulation, carpet and any plastic panels in contact with the wire.

16g wire is ~2600 circular mils. 3g is ~52,000 circular mils.

damage 8th October 2009 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icecoolwas (Post 1945149)
Hmm, What about a circuit breaker, should trip more better, also could use cable dressing?

You aren't understanding. That single strand will burn because it is still attached to a single LARGE fuse that won't blow under the load a 16awg piece of wire will draw when shorted. But it will still be enough heat to burn.

icecoolwas 8th October 2009 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damage (Post 1945180)
You aren't understanding. That single strand will burn because it is still attached to a single LARGE fuse that won't blow under the load a 16awg piece of wire will draw when shorted. But it will still be enough heat to burn.

ohh...

So best thing for me to do is insulate the cables more, hmm I cant seem to remember the name of that kinda netty/strechy fabric thing that is on high powered computer powersupplies...

EDIT:

I'm pretty sure its called cable sleeving, could add two layers of this.

Saturnus 8th October 2009 06:44 PM

Buy a small enclosure meant to be put on wires, and put a PTC on each strand. Problem solved.

Glowbug 8th October 2009 06:45 PM

The best thing to do would get the proper size cable for your current draw :)

Quote:

hmm I cant seem to remember the name of that kinda netty/strechy fabric thing that is on high powered computer powersupplies...
Techflex. But leave the 16awg for other uses...

icecoolwas 8th October 2009 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glowbug (Post 1945194)
The best thing to do would get the proper size cable for your current draw :)

Techflex. But leave the 16awg for other uses...

maybe so, I havnt bought the 16awg wires yet, I only said for some decent replies :D :D