I want a home theater made with car audio! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2009, 05:08 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default I want a home theater made with car audio!

I'm really curious and interested in eventually building an entire home audio system using car audio stuff. I just really love the way car audio products look, to be honest. I love the way fancy electronics look, and I like to show them off (to myself at least, lol), right down to the wires and fuse blocks and everything. Has anyone come across a definitive resource for making a home audio setup from car audio? Thanks in advance,

Rockworthy
Old 3rd October 2009, 06:52 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Due to the power supply requirements for a high power system, this is generally impractical. Expect to spend ~$400 on power supplies if you want anything near 1000watts (seems like the minimum for car audio guys).

Unless you have a multimedia head unit or an amp (like the Autotek MM 5.1) that has the proper decoders for home theater/surround, add the cost of a decoder.
Old 3rd October 2009, 07:17 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I don't need that much power. I only need about 350 watts RMS for the sub and another 150 watts/channel RMS for the speakers. Both 4 Ohms.
Old 3rd October 2009, 09:13 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Just two front speakers, btw, not 5.1. Left, right, and sub.
Old 4th October 2009, 04:08 AM   #5
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

Still just much easier (and potentially safer) to use 120VAC products instead of trying to adapt 12V for use in the home

What do you like about the car products? Maybe we can recommend home amplifiers that fit the bill
Old 4th October 2009, 04:19 AM   #6
john65b is online now john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Oh hell, I will recommend two.

Onkyo TX-SR series HT Receivers starting with the 600's...Or, the Panasonic XR series HT Receivers, like with an older XR45 (I have two and they will never leave my possession). Both very good, and relatively inexpensive...

Can't go wrong with either...
Old 4th October 2009, 04:56 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Nah I want car audio stuff. The unique, personal aspect of it will be off the chart, plus I get to design and build everything myself, plus it's unique, plus it's relatively affordable. I just want to know how to do it right
Old 4th October 2009, 06:56 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
Get a big SLA battery,and a beefy SMPS with a 13.8V output,add a stiffening cap if you feel like it,and you've got power covered.Do Not forget the fuses on every wire to/from the battery.
Old 4th October 2009, 07:03 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Lots of home speakers wired in parallel would like battery's low impedance . I'd love to have a dedicated amp armada to drive them !
Old 4th October 2009, 02:37 PM   #10
ppia600 is offline ppia600  United States
diyAudio Member

Find a 12vdc 60amp switching power supply ( http://cgi.ebay.com/POWER-SUPPLY-AUD...3286.m20.l1116 ) and a decent sized agm battery ( http://cgi.ebay.com/KINETIK-HC1400-K...d=p3286.c0.m14 ) to smooth the voltage. That will be enough for the power you listed unless you continuously run it at maximum rms. You will need to turn off the switching power supply when not using the system... to conserve electricity. The battery will keep the memory up in your head unit.

Last edited by ppia600; 4th October 2009 at 02:43 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!