DIY home theater subwoofer with car audio subs! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2009, 04:13 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default DIY home theater subwoofer with car audio subs!

Making a home stereo subwoofer out of a car audio subwoofer: So what's the most cost-effective way of making your car's old subwoofer into a sub for your living room? I've seen AC-to-DC converters on sale at Radio Shack, but they really cost a lot of money. What about a battery charger? You know, a battery charger/starter for your car's battery. Mine out in the garage has a setting for jumping a car, where 50 amps are available. That's enough for about 300watts of power to the amp isn't it? Anyone see any problems with this scenario? Thanks in advance,

Rockworthy
Old 3rd October 2009, 04:35 PM   #2
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

Buy a real plate amp, from Parts Express or Apex Jr

They're not too expensive. Or, if you need more than 1kW or so, use a pro audio rack mount amp, like a Crown or QSC.
Old 3rd October 2009, 05:12 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Actually I only need 350 RMS output from the amp. I was poking around on eBay for a "PA DJ amp" but I was having trouble finding one that made less than about 600 watts RMS, which is overkill. I'm not even quite sure what to search for because I'm not familiar with the terminology. If I were to search for a "PA amp", whatever that is, what exactly should I search for? I need 350 watts rms @4 ohms, mono. Class D if possible.
Old 3rd October 2009, 06:02 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

A car audio amplifier is supplied through a low dc to higher dc converter. The amp itself to produce say 350 w @ 4 ohms needs about +/- 60v rails.
If you can make such a supply using a transformer, a rectifier and big caps it will do the job.
Old 3rd October 2009, 06:52 PM   #5
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

http://apexjr.com/Apexsenior.htm

That'll do the trick.
Old 3rd October 2009, 07:12 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Holy crap I think that is exactly the right amp for what I want to do! Thanks man!

Hide this!Advertise here!