DIY home theater subwoofer with car audio subs!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Making a home stereo subwoofer out of a car audio subwoofer: So what's the most cost-effective way of making your car's old subwoofer into a sub for your living room? I've seen AC-to-DC converters on sale at Radio Shack, but they really cost a lot of money. What about a battery charger? You know, a battery charger/starter for your car's battery. Mine out in the garage has a setting for jumping a car, where 50 amps are available. That's enough for about 300watts of power to the amp isn't it? Anyone see any problems with this scenario? Thanks in advance,

Rockworthy

Actually I only need 350 RMS output from the amp. I was poking around on eBay for a "PA DJ amp" but I was having trouble finding one that made less than about 600 watts RMS, which is overkill. I'm not even quite sure what to search for because I'm not familiar with the terminology. If I were to search for a "PA amp", whatever that is, what exactly should I search for? I need 350 watts rms @4 ohms, mono. Class D if possible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.