summing rca's... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th September 2009, 01:58 AM   #1
jkwylde is offline jkwylde  United States
diyAudio Member

Default summing rca's...

Got a ???... I am attempting to use a stereo amplifier in mono mode, it is internally inverting, but requires the summing outside the amplifier - I can't just Y a stereo pair of outs can I??? The source is an alpine 7904, through a nakamichi sp200 x-over, into a hifonics Zeus series VI.

My last crossover summed for me, but I wanted to use the 2 Nakamichi x-overs to match my mid and hi amps.

what must I do to sum the line level?
Is there a small circuit I could build?
Old 15th September 2009, 03:30 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Insert a resistor in each RCA output and connect the other ends of the resistors together. Use that (and the shield) to drive the next component with a mixed signal. The resistor value isn't critical. If the RCA output is driving a sub amp and nothing else, 100 ohm resistors would be a good choice. If you were splitting the RCA output to go to both high and low frequency amps, you'd want to use a higher value to help prevent introducing distortion (which is more likely to occur with lower value resistors).

To get a summed output, you'd have to use op-amps which would make it much more difficult.
Old 15th September 2009, 06:21 AM   #3
jkwylde is offline jkwylde  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks...another???

You solved the question for me, and as an uneducated bobo i ask two more questions :

with a preamp signal of 1.6 volts, through the resistors, what type of voltage will I see, and....

The risk of distortion is the devil - - what is a super safe value on the resistors? A good midway point to keep distortion absolute minimum without degrading the signal....?

Sorry for being so inquisitive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Babin View Post
Insert a resistor in each RCA output and connect the other ends of the resistors together. Use that (and the shield) to drive the next component with a mixed signal. The resistor value isn't critical. If the RCA output is driving a sub amp and nothing else, 100 ohm resistors would be a good choice. If you were splitting the RCA output to go to both high and low frequency amps, you'd want to use a higher value to help prevent introducing distortion (which is more likely to occur with lower value resistors).

To get a summed output, you'd have to use op-amps which would make it much more difficult.
Old 15th September 2009, 09:38 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The resulting voltage will depend on the difference in the signal between the individual channels (signals should be identical at the lower end of the spectrum) and the input impedance of the next device (likely 10k ohms). For your application, I wouldn't expect to see any significant loss.

Since most op-amps can drive 600 ohm loads and the RCA output is likely driven by an op-amp, 600 ohms should be safe.
Old 15th September 2009, 04:04 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Babin View Post
(signals should be identical at the lower end of the spectrum)
And for that reason, you can actually just skip the summing node and bridge the amp using the R & L outputs as they are.

Hide this!Advertise here!