Effectiveness of Dynamat et al? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th May 2003, 06:21 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Effectiveness of Dynamat et al?

I've got a 2k maxima that is about to get a new set of speakers, cable and a sub. Can anyone comment on the effectiveness of Dynamat and/or equivalent materials for sound deadening?

How effective is this really? Is it worth tearing out my entire interior (seats, carpets, door panels) in order to install it?

Muchas gracias,
Jacob
Old 14th May 2003, 06:34 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Also, if anyone has recommendations for cheaper alternatives to Dynamat, Fatmat and Select Products, it would be greatly appreciated!

-Jacob
Old 14th May 2003, 07:55 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to onebadziggy
It is very effective, and tearing out your interior and doors will make a noticeable difference.

Another place that has deadening products is Elemental Designs.

http://www.edesignaudio.com/ep/edead.htm
Old 15th May 2003, 01:09 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

If you are gonna do it, do it right. Which means spend the money to get everything covered. Take the time while you have the parts open to check for stuff that will rattle and try to take care of it now. Its a real pain to go chase them rattles later.

You are looking to add mass mostly, so think about how to do that. I know they make a lead adhesive tape that would be real cool.
Old 20th May 2003, 04:02 AM   #5
Jean is offline Jean  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jean
There is also B-Quiet which is cheaper and just as effective. I used about 200sq. ft of "Brown bread" and "Extreme" to cover everything in the car from the trunk to the firewall, two layers in the door panels. It made a huge difference, less rattles and more weight on flimsy panels, less rattles and squeeks.
Old 20th May 2003, 04:37 AM   #6
BrianGT is offline BrianGT  United States
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to BrianGT
I have a '98 Honda Civic Hatchback, and my main goal is to reduce road noise, which is quite a lot on the interstate, partially due to my 205 45/R16 wheels... What would be the best way to do this, I was thinking about starting with dynamat (or cheaper alternative), then trying to find something to deaden the roadnoise more, maybe specifically in my wheelwells..

Anyone have any ideas specifically related to road noise? I tend to drive on the highway a lot, and it just gets to me a lot.

As far as Dynamat, I started by applying a nice solid amount to my driver door over a year ago, and it stopped it from rattling, but I never did anymore of the car, and have a decent amount left.

--
Brian
Old 20th May 2003, 04:51 AM   #7
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jleaman
fill the car with dyna mat cover all aspects in the car every place is best. I have seen results of these things and it works awsome. use what you have left and cover as much as you can.

GO HONDA.. !
Old 20th May 2003, 05:11 AM   #8
Jean is offline Jean  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Jean
When you pull your door panels off and other trim, you could apply sound deadening material to the outer door skin after cleaning it first real good. Then you can apply another layer to the door panel itself, to seal it off .

To further lower road noise you would want to add carpet type padding material, not just sound deadening material that adds weight to lower the freq. at which it vibrates.
Old 30th May 2003, 06:20 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default low cost deadening

I used Peel and Patch from Home Depot (gutter section), but I now recommend a lower cost-identical makeup alternative from Lowes called...ready...Peel and Seal. It costs right at $1 per sq. ft. and the effects are tremendous.

I recommend it as the FIRST step in a stereo upgrade. Don't bother with the high dollar Dynamat since Peel and Seal is the same product (60 mil, aluminum backed, rubberized asphalt tape). It comes in 12" x 25' rolls.

HERE IS WHAT MINE LOOKED LIKE WHILE IN PROGRESS
Old 2nd June 2003, 08:43 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hello,

A product called 'Brown Bread' is the real deal!

I have used in car and inside electronic components with excellent results.

KevinLee

Hide this!Advertise here!