WECO speaker connector - Orion 150R - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st August 2009, 12:59 PM   #1
ECM is offline ECM  United States
diyAudio Member

Default WECO speaker connector - Orion 150R

I just picked up an Orion 150R and a previous owner removed the speaker and power posts from the PCB and soldered wires. I'm looking to return it to stock.

I looked at another amp and found they are made by WECO. I could not find any replacements on the WECO website.

Any idea where I can pick these up?

EDIT: I think the speaker is this part number: TYPE 374-STG
And the power plug is this part number: TYPE 377-STG

Last edited by ECM; 31st August 2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 31st August 2009, 01:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Isn't WECO an acronym for Western Electric -- the former manufacturing arm of Ma Bell?

I have WECO jacks on one of my HP synthesizers -- I think it's the 150 ohm output.
Old 31st August 2009, 03:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Check Ebay they sell them there all the time. Weco has minimum order limits in place on these older plugs and you will need to buy 1000's to get them to make a production run, and then you must wait till they have been made also...
Old 31st August 2009, 04:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

You can always buy a WECO to BNC cable or connector -- and I bought mine, a Pomona, on EBay as suggested.
Old 31st August 2009, 04:45 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'm looking for the part that goes on the PCB, not the part that you hook up the outputs to. The actual metal post that is soldered in the PCB is missing - all of them.

I've found the part number, just cannot order them.

Another option is to find a donor amp and remove the posts from it, but it seems like an expensive proposition.
Old 1st September 2009, 01:53 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
I'm looking for the part that goes on the PCB, not the part that you hook up the outputs to. The actual metal post that is soldered in the PCB is missing - all of them.

I've found the part number, just cannot order them.

Another option is to find a donor amp and remove the posts from it, but it seems like an expensive proposition.

Yeah killing another amp for these pins is kind of expensive, I agree. Have you seen the Weco price for these pins ?
Ordering out of date connectors like this requires a production run, and a minimum order to be placed and paid for in advance most likely. I have friends that bought the speaker plugs and they shared their buying adventure with me. So this is why I know anything about the purchase of these devices.
The gold plating alone would be pretty hefty about now with the elevated gold prices currently...that's why the ones on epay are mostly polished steel and not gold plated like the originals.

And Weco is a company name that is used to define a entire product line of quick disconnect power and speaker terminals used in car audio for years by such names as PPI/Orion/Infinity/, and many others. The line includes PCB mounted screw terminals and just about everything in between. So the term Weco which was used by Infinity in its literature is a generic term that links you on the net to the makers of these things long, long ago.

There may be no low cost alternative unless someone has some spare in their parts bins, or on dead amps. Even I keep the ones I have for clients restoration work needs...You just can't find them anymore, just like Phoenix Gold terminals for early MS amps they made. Last I saw they were going as high as $100.00 a set, and they get broken in shipping so easily.....
Old 1st September 2009, 04:25 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I did find that "future electronics" online sells them, but they don't have any in stock. I may try and place an order anyway and see what happens. I really hate when amps get butchered this way and really want it back to stock.

On the weco website they have them listed. I may have to do an inquiry or ask for samples if they don't deal in small numbers.
Old 2nd September 2009, 05:35 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Seems these parts are hard to find. Who makes the absolutely cheapest amps that use these connectors? It looks like I'm going to have to steal the posts from another amp.

If anyone has a busted amp please let me know!
Old 2nd September 2009, 08:05 PM   #9
damage is offline damage  United States
diyAudio Member

I was thinking about using more modern connectors for my PPIs myself. there is more than sufficent room. I'll just bend a new side before doing so.
Old 2nd September 2009, 08:49 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
Seems these parts are hard to find. Who makes the absolutely cheapest amps that use these connectors? It looks like I'm going to have to steal the posts from another amp.

If anyone has a busted amp please let me know!

Orion, PPI, Infinity, Directed, ADS,....And there are a few others but I am fading this morning for some reason.
There was a guy on epay that was selling a bunch of old PPI/Orion gear by the name of Patrick...And his selling name was robotunderground, but I think he has changed to it to something off beat like juicyrobot or something like that, < as I said Off beat >
He may be able to help you as I recall he bought all of the PPI/Orion/ADS inventory at the bankruptcy sale. I bought a few incomplete boards off him myself, and they had Weco pins already loaded on them... Good luck on your search

Hide this!Advertise here!