hifonics zeus viii transformer... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2009, 06:51 PM   #1
marko is offline marko  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default hifonics zeus viii transformer...

what's the odds of zed having or been able to make a new transformer for my zeus?
Old 17th August 2009, 11:44 PM   #2
amc32 is offline amc32  United States
diyAudio Member

good luck on that one!
The problem isn't Zed but rather vari-power is registered Hifonics(Now Maxxosonics). That transformer is what did the magic. If Hifonics got wind that someone @Zed corp. was duplicating a proprietary design lets just say it wouldnt be pretty.

On a personal level he may share info on how to make one.

If all else fails I'm sure it could be rewound,and reversed engineeried yourself.

ORION FOR LIFE
Old 18th August 2009, 06:42 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

there's no way i could make one, looks like the amp is scrap then, deffo a transformer issue, when i wriggle it the music gets louder for a second and then the amp goes into protection after about 5 seconds
Old 18th August 2009, 05:27 PM   #4
amc32 is offline amc32  United States
diyAudio Member

When the amp is playing what power-supply voltage are you getting across the output transistors?

Need to make sure amp is operating correctly and not having any other issues,like stuck in (High,Med.,Low)power modes.
Old 19th August 2009, 12:35 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

You have mail Marko.....C
Old 31st December 2010, 05:55 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc32 View Post
When the amp is playing what power-supply voltage are you getting across the output transistors?

Need to make sure amp is operating correctly and not having any other issues,like stuck in (High,Med.,Low)power modes.
how do i check this? just noticed i still have this amp lying around unfixed after all this time and recent enthusiasm in fixing my olympus vii has given me the urge to have another go at this one!

it has sound on at least one channel (need to check both) but soon as you turn it up it goes into protection...
Old 31st December 2010, 06:08 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

If you want to measure the rail voltage on the outputs, place the black probe on one of the non-bridging speaker terminals and the other probe on the center leg of the outputs. One side will have positive voltage. The other side of the amp will have negative voltage. The voltages will be approximately the same unless one of the rail switching transistors is defective.

Is the shield ground on the RCA jacks intact? If you don't know, place one probe on a non-bridging speaker terminal and the other probe on the RCA shield (no RCAs plugged in). Push back gently on the jacks while doing this. You should read ~0 ohms.
Old 31st December 2010, 06:26 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

rca shield has 0 ohms..

just measured rail voltage and at 1st i had 16.43v and -17.40v on the other side, then (typically) the amp went into some kind of protection and the voltage just went very random? strange.
Old 31st December 2010, 07:12 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

If you connect speakers to the amp, does it make any strange noises just before it goes into protect?
Old 31st December 2010, 07:20 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

not really, just turns off with maybe a very small hiss but nothing of significance..

Hide this!Advertise here!