car audio: i like my stock speaker better??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2009, 02:59 PM   #1
kslim is offline kslim  United States
diyAudio Member

Default car audio: i like my stock speaker better???

I installed a 6.5 componenet sets(PPI 356c). I saw a good improvement upto the point where I installed crossover and tweeter. So the tweeters and stock woofers with crossover sounded pretty good.

Now after I replaced stock woofer with 365cs' woofer, it sounds too bright. It is just too bright. Could it be installation(I used plastic spacer ring while stock woofers do not need spacer ring because they dont have big magnets) ? or just these new woofers are bright in natures? Any thoughts?
Old 15th August 2009, 03:21 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

The stock woofers are likely to have a higher q value meaning they sound like they have more bass because it is not as controlled as the larger magnet speaker. The larger magnet unit may be happier in a smaller enclosure and if that's not possible, you may have to add bass by EQing it.
Old 15th August 2009, 09:21 PM   #3
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: car audio: i like my stock speaker better???

Quote:
Originally posted by kslim
I installed a 6.5 componenet sets(PPI 356c). I saw a good improvement upto the point where I installed crossover and tweeter. So the tweeters and stock woofers with crossover sounded pretty good.

Now after I replaced stock woofer with 365cs' woofer, it sounds too bright. It is just too bright. Could it be installation(I used plastic spacer ring while stock woofers do not need spacer ring because they dont have big magnets) ? or just these new woofers are bright in natures? Any thoughts?
I assume you're running them off head unit power?

Running them off of a small amp, even 40Wx2 or so, would make a drastic difference And then covering up large holes in the door panel and laying down sound deadening mat would be even better for improving midbass response.
Old 15th August 2009, 11:23 PM   #4
BHTX is offline BHTX  United States
diyAudio Member

I've found this is often the case, especially when running aftermarket car speakers without a separate amplifier, particularly when running them off the factory head unit. The stock speakers are cheap, have small magnets, and are less efficient (as Cal mentioned). Comparing them to an aftermarket loudspeaker might make your new speakers sound bright and bass shy. EQ should help.

Edit: This is part of the reason why I'll no longer buy car speakers for cars, but instead go the more DIY approach and pick individual drivers based on performance/specifications/price/etc, just like I would any other audio project. Aside from quality concerns, car audio manufacturers often don't provide enough information (not to mention response graphs and such). When installing small woofers in doors, I'll usually use a driver with a Qts around .5 (weaker motor, so they're cheaper, too), and sometimes as high as .7 or more if they're going to be used without a subwoofer.
Old 16th August 2009, 02:33 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

sometimes stock drivers are of surprisingly good quality.
speakers I pulled out of honda accord had copper sleeves on their pole pieces!
Old 16th August 2009, 03:00 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
In Toyota Prius that my father in law recently totaled I glued linoleum to all metal surfaces in doors, and put some Memory Foam inside. I used Infinity Reference 6002 speakers there, they sounded well enough, compared to stock ones. Also, I had to put some linoleum tiles under all rugs to silence the bottom of the car.

Hide this!Advertise here!