car audio: i like my stock speaker better???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I installed a 6.5 componenet sets(PPI 356c). I saw a good improvement upto the point where I installed crossover and tweeter. So the tweeters and stock woofers with crossover sounded pretty good.

Now after I replaced stock woofer with 365cs' woofer, it sounds too bright. It is just too bright. Could it be installation(I used plastic spacer ring while stock woofers do not need spacer ring because they dont have big magnets) ? or just these new woofers are bright in natures? Any thoughts?:xeye:

kslim said:
I installed a 6.5 componenet sets(PPI 356c). I saw a good improvement upto the point where I installed crossover and tweeter. So the tweeters and stock woofers with crossover sounded pretty good.

Now after I replaced stock woofer with 365cs' woofer, it sounds too bright. It is just too bright. Could it be installation(I used plastic spacer ring while stock woofers do not need spacer ring because they dont have big magnets) ? or just these new woofers are bright in natures? Any thoughts?:xeye:

I assume you're running them off head unit power?

Running them off of a small amp, even 40Wx2 or so, would make a drastic difference :) And then covering up large holes in the door panel and laying down sound deadening mat would be even better for improving midbass response.

I've found this is often the case, especially when running aftermarket car speakers without a separate amplifier, particularly when running them off the factory head unit. The stock speakers are cheap, have small magnets, and are less efficient (as Cal mentioned). Comparing them to an aftermarket loudspeaker might make your new speakers sound bright and bass shy. EQ should help.

Edit: This is part of the reason why I'll no longer buy car speakers for cars, but instead go the more DIY approach and pick individual drivers based on performance/specifications/price/etc, just like I would any other audio project. Aside from quality concerns, car audio manufacturers often don't provide enough information (not to mention response graphs and such). When installing small woofers in doors, I'll usually use a driver with a Qts around .5 (weaker motor, so they're cheaper, too), and sometimes as high as .7 or more if they're going to be used without a subwoofer.

In Toyota Prius that my father in law recently totaled I glued linoleum to all metal surfaces in doors, and put some Memory Foam inside. I used Infinity Reference 6002 speakers there, they sounded well enough, compared to stock ones. Also, I had to put some linoleum tiles under all rugs to silence the bottom of the car.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.