Fiberglass installation step by step - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th June 2003, 12:24 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to zx3chris
i have seen people use sprayers/shredders but only in pro shops and they are prolly much money---yes use the roller when it is wet---

-chris
Old 17th June 2003, 03:35 AM   #12
iaudio is offline iaudio  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice work. I've always had problems with my polester resins leaking through masking tape so I starrted using duct tape. Problem is duct tape leaves a sticky residue that's almost impossible to get off. 3M makes a vinyl duct tape that doesn't leak resin and doesn't leave a residue.
Old 17th June 2003, 03:38 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Check out some pics of my work here:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/iaudio/files/
Old 17th June 2003, 02:07 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

yea painters tape is preferred bc it will not leak, and it releases easier, but its nearly 4x as much than regular masking tape--- the masking tape i used is the cheap painters tape---but the blue tape is the good stuff---its very thick... This is why i used aluminum foil, which is cheap and it wont leak..

-chris
Old 17th June 2003, 05:09 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to infernox
Ok
You guys will help me if i run into any further trouble right?
chris can u maby give me ur email address jsut in case i loose the link to this forum (my pc gives me lots of crap).

Thanx again guys, ill try all of your ideas and please post more info and ideas, itll be much appreciated.
Old 17th June 2003, 06:05 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

There is supposed to be a type of self adhesive plastic sheet but I have yet to find it. It would save a lot of time. Do you have any pics of the rest of the system?
Old 18th June 2003, 02:55 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

you can reach me at cas1383@njit.edu

iaudio, some people use spray adhesive to attach thick weave matting to the surface they are going to glass---then simply paint on the resin--this is a very quick way to get the first layer done

-chris
Old 22nd June 2003, 01:24 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

ola everyone

chris could u maby explain the previous post in more detail?
the one bout spraying adhesive?

please
Old 22nd June 2003, 03:37 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

sure---in the tutorials i described, i painted on resin, then applied patches of glass and dabbed it with more resin---this works fine but it takes forever if you are doing a very large area.. If you are doing a large area (that is relatively smooth, no huge curves), you can simply lay a big peice of fiberglass over the entire area.. Use spray adhesive on the bottom side so the glass will stay. Then you simply paint on resin like you would paint on paint. Unfortunately, i do not have any pictures of what im trying to say--but just picture painting a very large peice of fiberglass.. This process works best with fiberglass weave rather than chopmatt, because if you try to paint chop matt, it falls apart---the weaved fiberglass will hold still, and not move due to the spray adhesive (3M makes good stuff). Also, as fiberglass is very strong in curves/corners, and not as much in long straight peices, you will have to add several more layers on the large areas, and using the painting process speeds up your time very quickly.. In a recent project, We cut out large rectangular sections of weave matt and painted that on the flat areas, and on the curves, we used chopmatt and used the dabbed method as i descriped in my tutorials...

-chris
Old 27th June 2003, 05:28 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

whoa thanx man.

thatll help a lot, cuz is pisses me off that we in southafrica hav to suffer from not having a lot of ****, like that roller, i havta order it 100 km from my house!!!!!!!!

Hide this!Advertise here!