Kenwood MP919 faceplate isn't rotating. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st July 2009, 10:50 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Kenwood MP919 faceplate isn't rotating.

I just recently replaced the flex cable for the faceplate for the third time.

I've owned the radio since late 2002 and I still love the radio to this day, the newer Kenwoods still don't compare to it IMO.

The issue I'm having is with the faceplate. Its just stuck in one spot. I didn't take the radio apart past the point of replacing the flex cable. Everything was working fine before the cable messed up.

I OHM checked everything and all of the connections are good. I unplugged the faceplate motor from the board and ran five volts to it and it works fine. I even hooked my meter up to see if power was going to the faceplate motor when it turned on and there was nothing at all.

Besides the faceplate not moving the radio is working fine, I just can't change the cd's and the faceplate doesn't hide when I turn the key off.

Thanks.
Old 31st July 2009, 11:46 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Email me if you want the service manual.

babin_perry@yahoo.com
Old 1st August 2009, 03:59 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Email sent.
Old 1st August 2009, 03:59 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Well, I tried the faceplate/flex cable on a known working radio and I still got nothing.

I also tried the other radios faceplate and motor and got nothing.

So it has to be the flex cable.. Everything has a good connection and isn't shorting out.. I'm at a loss...

I really don't want to pay $30 at the local repair shop to have the people tell me its the flex cable.. Even though I just bought it last week...

I really would rather not spend another $20 for a new flex cable, the store I got it from on ebay is refusing to send me a new one.
Old 1st August 2009, 04:14 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

You can remove the worm gear off of the motor, and open and close the face manually. I have had people that were tired of having to replace the ribbon cables. If you remove the gear and unsolder the motor from it's cable to prevent it from trying to close when you turn the deck off. Not flipping it over everytime you turn the car off will extend the life of the cable.

Hide this!Advertise here!