Need some midrange car speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They need to be 5.25" diameter, and sensitive as possible, preferably 98Db/w.

2ohm impedance is preferable also, and they'll be covering the 160Hz-3KHz range, with 18 db/oct slopes.

So far I've found nothing which fills the criteria...

Rubber surround on plastic cone would be preferable also. :)

If you could bump it up till 6.5" there is one possibility that I know of - having searched for something like this myself - and that is the Beyma Pro 6 MI

http://www.usspeaker.com/beyma pro6mi-1.htm

It comes from their competition series but from personal experience there are some things to consider:
- It is rated at 98db, but I crossed them over very low (1500 hz) and they are around 95db from there on. Since my door panels are not very airtight and mounting options were limited, I suspect I've lost again a few db down low due to airleaks and acoustic short cirquits. Bottom line is I've did some hearing/EQ tests and I padded my 100db tweets an extra 5db down till 90db to bring them in line with the mids.
- If you really want 2 Ohm and high sensitivity you can wire 2 of them in parallell. 3dB extra sensitivity and double the power handling. More expensive, but depending on your goals
- Do some modelling and you'll see that if you put them in small enclosures you can create a "bump" at their lower end to get some extra db there. Form the top of my head i think 300Hz in a 2L enclosure. Should be doable in a door if you are willing to modify it.
- I was first looking for PA midranges to get till the desired sensitivity and Beyma did a spinoff for cars so ... but any PA midrange should do, so do a search there. (PHL, Audax PA drivers ??) Large diesel engines are also used for boats, so why shouldn't a PA driver be used inside a car? ;)
- They go very loud and still stay clean. Usually you don't notice it is so loud untill a more dynamic piece of music comes along. I haven't driven them past 10 watts peak yet (I cross them over at 125Hz - head unit filtering), but if properly crossed over around 400Hz i don't doubt they will soak all rated 200 watts (and dislodge my door panels!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.