Blown Rockford Fosgate 250M, help a newb =-)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I work at a audio/detailing/tinting place, and in the electronics bay that had a few amps that were blown, and the RF 250m was one of them. But, I took the amp apart and found that the little black mosfet chip was blown. Well, one of them closest to the power and ground has a burn mark on it with some suit around it. I was wondering if I just replace that, if the amp should work again, or if there are other things that need to be checked.

When I was in there, I noticed a tiny surface mount resistor that was for some reason, not attached on one side. I just pushed it down, and resoldered it.

Please help me out. The RF guys are going to get me the correct shcematic monday, so I should be able to see what part numbers are on these circuits. Also, I am fairly good with a multimeter, so if you can just guide me threw this, I would appreciate it. I will attach a picture of the board so you can see what I am dealing with.

Try this again. How do I get the rest of that chip off?! lol

Attachments

• optimized.p7250369.jpg
    optimized.p7250369.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 146
To remove the rest of the transistor you will need a small butane torch. Lowe's sells a Bernzomatic brand torch and a small can of butane for under 20 dollars. You will also need some medium size Binder Clips available at Office Depot. The binder clips are required to keep the next component from separating from the thermal strup when you heat the component to be removed. Do not use a plumbing torch. As stated earlier there is probably something that caused the power supply transistor failure. Shorted output transistors are the most likely candidate for that. When the supply failed, it probably took out the gate resistors and possibly the pnp driver transistors that drive the FETs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.