Zapco Z220 no sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just bought a old school Zapco amp. I was happy to find it but the sad news is that it has no sound. I just don't know what is wrong? Amp power up fine. I measure the amp rca and got only .500v. I know i should be getting 12v, but when i apply ground to it the amp goes into overload or protection. Help???what could be wrong??? This is what it looks like.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The most common cause of an amp being in protect is shorted output transistors. Do you have an Ohm meter to check for shorted transistors? The output transistors are the 4 larger devices mounted to the heat sink in the top left of the picture, and the 4 devices mounted to the heat sink in the bottom left of the picture.

Also check the round component in the middle of the board. There is a square cut out in the board with the round component bolted to the heat sink. Check from one leg to the 2 legs that are 90 degrees from it. Do this on all 4 legs of the device. Do not check from one leg and the leg 180 degrees from it.

Check from one leg of the part to the leg that is 90 degrees to the left of it, and then the leg that is 90 degrees to the right of it. Repeat this process for all 4 legs of the part.

Attachments

• fullwave.gif
    fullwave.gif
    6.9 KB · Views: 104
The amp turns on fine without any voltage draw. I notice that the input on the RCA have low ground when the amp is trun on. I apply or put gound to it and the amp would go into overload. After 10 sec it would come out of overload. Still no sound. Thanks i hope you can help?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.