little light bulbs in the radio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i took apart my stock GM radio because all the light bulbs burnt out. can anyone give me a part number for a lightbulb i can replace them with? i can even see the little fillament is burnt out in the bulbs.

Attachments

• 000_2321.jpg
    000_2321.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 167
the only numbers i can see on it are "OL 24" does this mean anything? i really would like to order the parts from mouser or another online supplier. i need about 12 of these bulbs and radio shack is charging 3$ each for these ones and i dont even know if they are going to be bright enough

yes the ones with the long leads. i need to order some other parts for other amp repairs and i was waiting so i could order these along with my other parts. i just wish i could get a range of wattage/amperage that these little bulbs operate. 3$ does seen expensive to me to i figure it will be about 50$ to replace all of them.

scampo77 said:
yes the ones with the long leads. i need to order some other parts for other amp repairs and i was waiting so i could order these along with my other parts. i just wish i could get a range of wattage/amperage that these little bulbs operate. 3$ does seen expensive to me to i figure it will be about 50$ to replace all of them.

If you want the apprximate wattage of the old bulbs, remove a working one (if possible, I know you said they were all burned) from the circuit and test its resistance. You can figure wattage and current by using the known voltage (12) and the bulb's resistance. You can also use the current and voltage of the new bulbs (60mA and 12v) to figure their wattage.

here are some WAY cheaper

http://cgi.ebay.com/Grain-of-Wheat-...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1240|293:1|294:50

a filament bulb's resistance is very low when cold, and increases dramatically when warmed up to normal temperature.

Hence inrush current at switch on. Cold resistance will give you a false (high) wattage reading.

Why have ALL the bulbs failed ??

Check the supply, or is it straight from the vehicle battery?

You may find that fitting12V LEDS (ie with built-in resistors) is a lot cheaper and they will last forever.

Leds are great for directional applications and last a very long time, but if you don't get the correct light distribution his radio face will look like polka dots. Regular bulbs distribute light all around and the plastic in the radio is most likely geared towards incandescents.

cliffforrest said:
a filament bulb's resistance is very low when cold, and increases dramatically when warmed up to normal temperature.

Hence inrush current at switch on. Cold resistance will give you a false (high) wattage reading.

Why have ALL the bulbs failed ??

Check the supply, or is it straight from the vehicle battery?

You may find that fitting12V LEDS (ie with built-in resistors) is a lot cheaper and they will last forever.

pjp said:
seconding clifforrest - Put LEDs (with a current limiting resistor) instead. Incandescents do not make sense anymore.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.