Soundstream Tarantula 1400.2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st July 2009, 08:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Soundstream Tarantula 1400.2

I haven't had this hooked up for a while. I had the power and ground hooked up in my car for about 6 months but without the remote wire in so I thought it would work just great when and if I hooked the remote up when I got my sub woofer fixed and ready to go. Well its slightly over the warranty period and when I hooked up the remote wire the red light came on(protect mode) then dims a little. I also noticed a slight buzzing noise coming from the amp inside, very faint. I unhooked everything and took off the back cover. hooked it all back up and sounds like the noise is coming from 1 of 4 of the main capacitors right in off the power block. I would love to be able to try and repair this without sending it away to sound stream for 150. I also emailed them and they provided me with the schematics. Im not sure why it would mess up if I had just power going into it without remote wire plugged in. Would love any advice or help.

Also one of the two fans are not working and I tested that out separately but that is an easy fix.
Old 2nd July 2009, 02:40 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

It sounds like the amplifier has one or more shorted output transistors. What was the problem with the woofer? Chances are when the woofer went out, it took the amp out at that time. You just did not notice that the amp had a problem. If you had only power and ground connected, there is no way the output shorted in this situation.
Do not turn the amp on again, the noise you are hearing is the unwanted stress on the power supply, caused by the shorted output devices. I am sure Perry will be able to help you when he sees this. I just did not want you to take the amp completely out by turning it on again.
Old 3rd July 2009, 01:21 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

they voice coil came apart loose inside the sub and then the sub no longer worked, hooked up another sub a few months later it worked FINE. then gave the speaker back to my friend. Had nothing hooked up to the amp for about 6 months but with power to it.
Old 3rd July 2009, 02:18 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

$150.00 is cheap to get a amp like this repaired.

Sounds like a great deal to me... I would go for the factory deal..

Hide this!Advertise here!