Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th June 2009, 09:01 PM   #1
Dan2 is offline Dan2  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default front door speaker placement

i dont quite understand why they decide to put front door speakers at the bottom of the door. although it sounds fine when i am on my own, as soon as i have a passenger, their legs are in front of the speaker, making the sound less clear.

is this not a problem for anyone else??
Old 29th June 2009, 09:04 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Often they are placed there so they don't interfere with the rolling down of the window.
Old 29th June 2009, 09:19 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

As long as you can get your tweeter up higher (which is usually fairly easy), you end up with decent sound in the car.
Old 29th June 2009, 09:36 PM   #4
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Difficult with a coax but as Zig says if that is an option then Bob's your uncle.
Old 30th June 2009, 05:08 PM   #5
Dan2 is offline Dan2  South Africa
diyAudio Member

really? but then the tweeter surely needs to be crossed over pretty low right?

also i want to keep my car standard, or at least look standard, which would make tweeter placement an issue.
Old 1st July 2009, 03:36 AM   #6
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

When the tweeters are say behind the side mirror covers, you don't really notice the lower ones being covered some. I don't think they change xover any different than other setups. It is better to have the tweeter and mid close together but in a car you do what you can. There are some really tiny tweeters but they tend to only play very high, but are easier to mount in tight spots. They should help.
Old 1st July 2009, 03:54 AM   #7
infinia is offline infinia  United States
diyAudio Member

Be careful if you mount the tweeters higher up in your car door, some passengers seem to believe they are electric window switches/buttons.
Old 5th July 2009, 04:58 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to trusound
that will always be the issue with a door mounted driver.... along with tactile energy transfer... it's hard trying to create a believable stage with door mounted drivers..

the sail panel is a great place to put a tweeter... allot of times it's the widest part in the car... I try to stay away from pilar mounted anything.. as you deal with relection issues... timing issies... off/on axis issues...
Old 7th July 2009, 06:04 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Dan2:
Quote:
as soon as i have a passenger, their legs are in front of the speaker, making the sound less clear.

IMO, that's the biggest problem with front speakers in a car.
The best solution to that problem is to mount the front speakers in/on the dash, or high in the doors. Or simply don't allow passengers in the front seat.

Perhaps the best option along those lines is 3-way with midbass down low where space is available, and mid/tweeters up high. Of course, this is more expensive and complicated. Driver choice and crossover design is very important in this solution.
Old 11th July 2009, 04:33 PM   #10
mda185 is offline mda185  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Can't have it both ways

Dan2,

Speaker placement low in the doors is poor from a sound quality standpoint. SQ is low on most auto makers' priority list. Overcoming this does involve mounting a higher frequency driver in a higher location in the vehicle. There are two approaches but neither will leave you car looking stock unless it already has a high mounted tweeter.

First approach is to mount a good quality tweeter up high on the door or on the A pillar and cross it over a low as possible. This usually means crossing over at 2500 - 3000 Hz. Tweeters that can go lower safely are very expensive and usually have flanges that are too large for unobtrusive car stereo applications.

The other approach that I am experimenting with is to mount a 3" full range driver up on the dash or the A pillar and cross it over to the door woofer at 200-300 Hz. This however, will definitely not keep the interior looking stock.

If you absolutely don't want to alter your interior, the only other approach that may improve the sound quality is to mount good co-axial speakers in the doors with tweeters that can be aimed up towards your ears.

Hide this!Advertise here!