Nakamichi VS. CD-R's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been doing some testing with my Nakamichi TD-45Z & MF-51 CD Changer and various brands and types of CD-R's.

I had posted a question earlier asking about the highest reflectivity CD-R's as i noted that some CD-R's would play and others wouldn't in the Nak Changer. Googling, I saw many post's from others who were having the same problems.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145710

Thanks to DIY member Nyatt who brilliantly suggested i try the older 650mb disc's as the track pitch is different then the now standard 700mb CD-R disc's, I have found that the some of the older 650mb disc's work! and will play in the Nak decks!

The Nak's are an older car stereo system. But for me, it matches the interior dash lighting scheme of my car and I am more interested in sound quality and less about pop out displays and swimming dolphin graphics. So for now the Nak stays.

In an effort to help others that like me want to keep the Nak's. I thought i would report my findings about which 650mb cd-rs work and which don't! Nak lovers will have to hunt eBay for these older CD-R's and i have found no store that still stocks them!

All disc's mentioned here in will be of the 650mb variety.

I have found that the Silver/Silver types of seem to work best most of the time. For best results, record at 4X.

I went through my CD collection and found as many of the 650mb CD-R's that i have and tried them all in the MF-51 these were recorded years ago on various computer CD burners. so the results have a degree of randomness to them. Most were made on a Sony or Plextor CD Burners as back then that's all i had.

HHB and Mitsui disc's have worked 99% of the time thus far. I have had 1 HHB disc that would almost play but gave problems.

Mitsui Unbranded 650mb 74min Lifetime (Silver/Silver) - Work's

HHB CDR74 Silver 680mb 74 minute(Silver/Silver) - 3 out of 4 play ok

Sony CD-R 650mb CDQ-74CN (Silver/Lt. Blue) - Works

Verbatim Datalife Plus CD-R (Silver/Dark Blue) - Works

Sony CD-R Audio (Silver/Lt. Blue) - No Play

Thats CD-R CDR-74ZY Taiyo Yuden Co. (Silver/Lt. Blue) - No Play

Imation CD-R 650Mb 74mb (Gold/Lt. Blue) - almost played, lots of skips and errors

Smart And Friendly Performance Plus (Gold/Dark green) - No Play

I will add to this list as i can. Other disc's tried were various types of Silver/Silver 700mb disc's and i tried some Memorex Black/Black 700mb Disc's and none worked.

I just burned a new CD Using a Phillips Silver Premium CD-R 74 that is rated 1x - 8X (it's old media) and it is a Silver Top/Light Blue Dye bottom. Looks a lot like the Sony media listed above. I burned using a Plextor Burner at 4X and it works great!. add that to the pile!

whiterabbit said:
The day after I found that pic here I did that to my MF-51. Best addition ever.

I wish I never sold that MF-51. I wait for another MF-51 to fall into my lap. The day after I find/get one, I'll be doing that again.

I have the parts on order from Digi-key. should be here mon/tues. I'm curious your results after the mod? would the MF-51 play 700mb disc's too?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.