Fosgate P250.2 w/ 10" Punch P1 problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fosgate P250.2 w/ 10" Punch P1 problem

I had an issue yesterday that sounded like the speaker voice coil got burned. I just downloaded one of those speaker test mp3's and was playing it in the car and heard some crackly sounds from the sub so I turned it back down. After that when the volume was down low it sounded very bad but when you turn it up high it would sound normal.

Today I drove the car to work and it sounded the same so I turned up the juice so I don't have to hear the bad sounding sub (so I thought) but then the sub started to sound normal. I can now listen at low or high volume and the sub sounds fine!

What could this be a problem with? The amp or sub? Any input would be appreciated. thank you.

FYI - it was one of the mp3's from http://www.stealthsettings.com/woofer-bass-subwoofer-sound-test/

Johnny Lee

Well, this is sort of off topic but it's a result of the topics problem.

Sub is dead. Someone gave me a JL 10" W3-D4 (4ohm dual voice coil). Problem is the P250.2 does 250w bridged @ 4ohm stable.

The only thing I can do is run it at 8ohm which would be 125w?

When an amp typically says 4ohm stable I know it definitely means don't run it at 2ohms but is it ok to run it @ 8ohms?

You will be fine at 8 ohms.

ETA: You should get a little more than 125 watts @ 8 ohms because Rockford Fosgate still tends to under rate their amps by 20%. To get better idea of how much power you you should be making at 8 ohms mono, look at your 4 ohm stereo power on the birthsheet and add it up to derive your 8 ohm mono output. For example, if your 4 ohm stereo power is 75 watts per channel, your 8 ohm mono power would be 150 watts.

Rated Power
continuous power 60W x 2 @ 4 Ohms RMS
125W x 2 @ 2-Ohms RMS
250W x 1 @ 4-Ohms bridged RMS

so I only get 120w? rofl

Well, 120w + 20%? so 144w?

Oh well, I guess I'll sell this amp and use my fosgate 400a4 bridged.
Should give me 200w x 2 for each voice coil of this sub.
I believe the JL 10W3-D4 can take 300w rms.

thanks for your help!

HI wpc,

I saw a birth sheet of a p250.2 and it says 93W at 14.4V , Therefore you should be getting between 120W to 186W rms , depending on the voltage supply, when bridged to 8 ohms.

Lucky you , For the subs you received ;).

BTW , What do you think is the better sounding of the 2 subs you received?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.