has anyone installed a home DVDplayer to car?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have not installed a home DVD player into a car and I would not suggest it.

As far as fighting with shocks, I can think of a couple ways:

(1) You could simply throw them at your enemy.
(2) You could also use a giant sling shot to catapult them at people.
(3) You could also make a nice body armor out of them but I imagine this would be very heavy.

On a more serious note, I do believe that you would need the 50/60hz cycle to be present in your ac signal to your DVD player. I am not sure if this could happen in the car's 12 volt environment.

Thanks

Kevin Lee:)

Try this...

Well, the mobile environment prob. was never taken into consideration when the engineer designed your DVD player. With that said, be expecting that it may skip or not work properly when it's cold, or driving over heavy bumps (some work very well for years...others not so lucky).

To make it stable in the vehicle, you may want to solidly mount it where the floor itself is strong by some metal brackets...90 degree style ones attatched directly to the chassis (also dampen underneath with some kind of material...Dynamat/stuffing etc).

To make the connections, it's simple. Same as you would at home...just make sure your video screen will accept your DVD's type of connections (sounds simple, but some screens only come with RGB style connections). Next, just get a proper inverter and your done (at least match the wattage rating of the DVD...more is better...less heat and noise).

Hope this helps,

Rino

Installation

Well, it doesn't have to be anything very fancy, just solid. The damping material under the unit is there to absorb any resinations and stray moisture that may occur.

The brackets should be made of something solid, like steel, similar to say the brackets that would hold a CB radio to a vehicles dash. Try to mount the brackets directly to the floor of the vehicle (or something very solid were your mounting it), also, when mounting the brackets to the DVD player, try to mount to the case itself.

Hope this helps.

Vertical...may present a problem...maybe

Mounting the reader vertically may become a problem...doubt it was desighned to be anything other than horizontal. It may work perfect sitting still (vertically), but go for a drive and it may start to skip and and reset. Sorry...seen too many have this problem in the past. You can however (to get the thing to fit into the console better), try to remove the housing of the player to expose all of the internals. Then mount the DVD transport remotely...BUT, it must be installed into a DARK solid enclosure to work properly. Also, you will be inviting all of the eliments out to play, so take heed in how well you design the enclosure for noise, moisture, dust, heat, little fingers, little paws etc...you get the hint.

Also, about remote mounting the Mechanizm...never tried this myself, extention cable may present some what of a head scratcher...too long of cable may not work properly...wrong data...jitter etc.

If I sound cautious, about removing the mech., like I stated above, never done that before.

Rino

Hey Chris....

Hey Chris, ya comps. can work in vehicles fairly easily, just have to find the room for those darn things.

Your sig says you live in New Jersey, how does the comp. work in the winter?

Besides the carpet, is there any other type of damping material (looks like it was done for looks, but also functions as damping)?

When you play movies, are you doing so off of the hard drive or the disc drive. If off of the disc drive, even while driving?

Just curious...had ...never skips if you use the hard drive....even in the 160dB's (music, not from a generator).

Rino

ive done 4 car pc installs and the longest one so far has been over 2 years---thru summer and winters--no heat or cold or condensation problems.. the carpet was solely for looks-not for campening. i have it right next to my sub box and it is ~140db there, no problems.. dvd's play fine from the disc drive, however most of the movies i play are divx movies i have ripped myself, i have never actually played dvd's whjile driving (in my car) but in another car i have and it did not skip. i have had crashed on my system in the past, but it is bc i made myu own case and the pci audio card was not sitting right, and at certain bumps it would slide out of the slot---luckily it did not fry anything, it just crashed.. i remade the case and the problem is gone--
btw go to mp3car.com forums if youd like to see alot of people who have done this

-chris

there are plenty of car dvd players that would be a better option instead of using a home player. home players arent meant for the temp changes and vibration a car one would. plus, you can get car ones cheap enough ($250+) and you would also not have to worry about converting from 120vac to 12vdc. plus you the displays used in cars would not warrent a hi-end home dvd player. just somethin to think about.

Car DVD

I found a nice site with good stuff.
www.ehqc.com
:car: :wave2:

Attachments

• mcd-8.gif
    mcd-8.gif
    14.4 KB · Views: 119
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.