Need help troubleshooting whine in speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2009, 05:59 AM   #1
roger2 is offline roger2  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Need help troubleshooting whine in speakers

Hi all. I'm trying to solve a mystery. Whine in speakers of my car system, even when the engine is not running. When the engine is running the whine fluctuates, pitch goes higher, when the engine RPMs increase.

This is not a new installation. The system was fine for about a year with no problems. Nothing has been changed or added.

I have already done the basic troubleshooting: I checked all connections. Grounds are all good. Swapped out the amp and the problem didn't change. Swapped out the RCA cables and no change. Removed head unit and ran a seperate ground wire to it, no change.

However I did discover how to make the whine go away. There is a 4-prong connector plugged in to the alternator - when it is un-plugged the whine goes away. (picture of the connector below)

The system has no whine when this 4-prong connector is unplugged.

When this connector is plugged in there is no whine when the key is in the "Accessory" position. But when the key is in "ON" position (with engine not running) the whine comes back. And finally, when the engine is running the whine changes with engine speed.

At this point I suspect a problem in the car electrical system and not in my head-unit or amps. But I do not know enough to go further with out some help

It is interesting that having the key in "Accessory" position yields no whine but moving it to "ON" makes the whine appear.

Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscf0662copy2.jpg (45.4 KB, 68 views)
Old 17th May 2009, 09:42 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Try this
Old 17th May 2009, 11:47 PM   #3
roger2 is offline roger2  United States
diyAudio Member

Default that was it

Thanks I Am An Idiot for the link. There was about 200 ohms between the HU case and the RCA shields. I fixed it as shown in the web page link.

And props to Perry Babin for offering such a useful and informative web site.

And if anyone was wondering, yes my HU is a Pioneer.

Working fine now and sounding good. I missed my car system but it is back
Old 18th May 2009, 01:11 AM   #4
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

Must be something in the car makes noise with the key on. It will pick up noise from anything with no RCA ground. Mine still working ok but only had two different amps on it so far. (880prs) Planning on testing more amps though so hope it holds out.
Old 19th May 2009, 11:26 AM   #5
Dan2 is offline Dan2  South Africa
diyAudio Member

well what would come on with the engine off and ignition ON??? Don't fuel injected cars have an electric fuel pump that come on before the engine starts??

Yes i must also say props to Perry for his site, my Pioneer HU gave me engine noise before i used Perry's fix
Old 19th May 2009, 04:22 PM   #6
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

Most fuel pump come on and shut down if the engine is not started, but other things are on like ECU, heater fan, all the sensors for gauges/emissions/etc.

Hide this!Advertise here!