How to use a multimeter properly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok i have been learing how to fix car amp, somewhat successful.

but now have learnt that my meter is capable of testing N amd P transistors.

So I figure I should learn how to use the meter properly for electronics repair. Does anyone know of a good site?

Here is a pic of mine.

Attachments

• emco dmr multimeter sm.jpg
    emco dmr multimeter sm.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 151
Perry Babin said:
Page 97 of my car audio site (link in sig) may be helpful. Scroll down until you get to the section labeled "Checking Field Effect Transistors".

Ok good info and will read, but there is a HFE section on my meter and CX dual port on the meter, and would like to know how to use. I figure the HFE is to check P & N transistors and if so is that a reliable way to test them.

I added comments to the pic to show what i mean, and what i have been using to test the resistors and transitors, which is on the ohm part ot the meter.

There is alot of the meter I dont know what it is for.
The Volts part OK, have been using that part for a long time, Ohm part somewhat know how to use, the one that beeps i use to test fuse to see if broken or lights, havnt done much with resistors or transistors so far until i decided to fix my old amp, and nephews which Perry Babin has been helping alot.

So i would like to learn how to use the meter properly and it extra features and settings.

Ive searched for the manual online and cannot find any such thing.

Thanx D

Attachments

• emco dmr multimeter sm2.jpg
    emco dmr multimeter sm2.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 126
resistor and transistors should read resistors and diodes.
That is a diode symbol.

The two scales @ hFE are for BJT transistors.This will tell you if they are working and confirm that they are correctly labeled PNP or NPN and/or legs as datasheet.

The capacitance scale (Cx) uF, nF and pF are for capacitors. But ensure they are discharged with a resistor before plugging them in.

NEVER use the probes to measure voltage if the red one is plugged into A or mA. It will probably blow up the DMM.

ALWAYS return the red probe to V socket after reading current.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.