Rockford Punch 200x2 amp - needs repair

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Perry Babin said:
Replace the parts you know to be defective and power it up. Do so through a 10 amp fuse and have the parts clamped to the heatsink before applying power.

OK will do, I have most of the parts, but I dont have a 0.8 ohm resistor, the closest i have is a 10 ohm.

Is there somewhere i can get the resistor, and not sure on the wattage of the resistor.

Thanx D

Did you have to replace any power supply components?

Does it blow the fuse before you apply remote voltage?

Turn the bias pot fully counter-clockwise. Does it still trip the breaker?

Unless you're using a small power supply (3-5 amps), you should have a 10 amp fuse in the B+ line. You should also have all of the transistors clamped to the sink when you apply power to prevent further damage.

Do you have a 2 ohm current limiting resistor?

Perry Babin said:
Did you have to replace any power supply components?

Does it blow the fuse before you apply remote voltage?

Turn the bias pot fully counter-clockwise. Does it still trip the breaker?

Unless you're using a small power supply (3-5 amps), you should have a 10 amp fuse in the B+ line. You should also have all of the transistors clamped to the sink when you apply power to prevent further damage.

Do you have a 2 ohm current limiting resistor?

1 - changed 1 - IRFZ40, 1 - IRF540, 1 - IRF9540, and all 6 resistors.

2 - and it does trip before remote is applied.

3 - gain is all the way down.

4 - and PSU is 30 amp, and transistors are clamped in factory position.

If one of each of those transistors failed, you should have replaced all that were working together (All Z40s, three 540s and three 9540s).

If it blows the fuse before the remote voltage is applied, you likely have more power supply FETs shorted, open gate resistors and/or defective gate driver transistors.

With no B+ connected (only remote and ground), measure the DC voltage on the gate leg of each of the power supply FETs. Post the DC voltage on each gate leg.

The bias pot isn't the gain pot. The bias pot is the trim pot near the output transistors.

Perry Babin said:
If one of each of those transistors failed, you should have replaced all that were working together (All Z40s, three 540s and three 9540s).

If it blows the fuse before the remote voltage is applied, you likely have more power supply FETs shorted, open gate resistors and/or defective gate driver transistors.

With no B+ connected (only remote and ground), measure the DC voltage on the gate leg of each of the power supply FETs. Post the DC voltage on each gate leg.

The bias pot isn't the gain pot. The bias pot is the trim pot near the output transistors.

Ok will check that.

top side of channel 2

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

top side of channel 1

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

bottom side of channel 1

Does anyone know if the punch 200.2 has the same Motorola IRF540 outputs? :D For some odd reason i like the amps with the Motorola outputs, i had a few RF amps in the past that had Mot outputs, punch 150 (ist gen), punch 40.2, punch 60.2 and now a punch 200.2 that i barely purchased so i'm waiting to receive in the mail. Just curious do the 200.2 have them?? Thnx............ I know old thread :eek:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.