Focal/Crutchfield-Bait, Switch, Sell-out

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Crutchfield is now selling Focal, they created a dealer promo to get new dealers to sell their lines, promised no internet dealers, no mass merchants, the day after the sells promo ends,(many dealers bought in) , then they send the retailers a news letter how they have this great deal (enter here-snake oil sells pitch)with Crutchfield (mass merchant internet sales). I couldnt have believed my eyes when the news letter even included info about the now OUT OF BUSINESS -Tweeter, Have they forgot Tweeter - filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Tweeter's filing listed assets of $50 million to $100 million and debts of the same level. The biggest creditors include Sony Corp and Samsung Electronics.

:whazzat:

I could care less, though think it amazing they even mentioned "Tweeter" in the snake oil sales pitch , trying to calm the dealers who bought into their "Promo" programs. Though having been in and around the industry, only to see another brand sell out their independent dealers. I have no animosity toward CF, however ORCA/Focal should have let the dealers know before hand . What ever happened to the days when someones word was worth something, as far as i know , the definition of NO is still NO. This was directed to my friends in the industry as a heads up......

Is the quality of Focal's current products equivalent to what it was in the past?

And are the products sold through CF the same models available through independent dealers, or are they a more mass-market friendly line?

That's a fairly abrasive move against local dealers, but it may have been a necessity in the current market.

CF selling all lines including utopia. as far as ive been informed ? I have been in the industry too long, usually when mass merchandising is included, profits are put before quality. examples US Acoustics, Hifonics, Concord,....(add next name here)..... Perfect example : Morel /Macrom fiasco(now fixed thankfully). whether thru buyouts or just greed in moving to cheaper labor. quality suffers. Find me a US made item ?? they are rare and becoming extinct, Ever wonder why old school US made amps are so valuable ?

Dynosaur:
I have been in the industry too long, usually when mass merchandising is included, profits are put before quality.

Yeah, back in the good ol' days the Mfr's would sometimes introduce a separate line of products for these merchants so it would give the local shops a fighting chance with a better product.

I haven't used any Focal products in 15-20 years, are the Utopia's as good as they're marketed to be?

Ever wonder why old school US made amps are so valuable ?

Because they were expensive and well-made when new! Many are a bargain at today's prices. But this is the wrong thread for that subject.

Old school amps:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117121&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

I think they need to do something like that, because I don't want to go to a store if there were one here. Most all these places I hit the dealer page and nothing comes up, you know how far I would have to drive to buy a DD sub? Way too far and I really don't want to drive at all. Now CF does not sell cheap they are full service and you pay for it, I would not call them a cut throat internet dealer. Only deals I ever found there were closeouts and as they should be no matter. People don't seem to realize the customers you lose by not selling on the net. I'm not going to say the perfect way to service dealers and internet, just saying there REALLY needs to be both to reach all of your customers. Heck I hardly have time to put the stuff in my car let alone drive around looking at stuff, and I know more about it than the store people do anyway.

I would guess they thought about all this before they started up this program(s).

glad you brought up DD,their products are excellent , due mostly to NOT being mass produced. Have you tried calling the dealer??

DD says this on their website:

Product Upgrades
Digital Designs knows we all suffer from TECHNOBSOLENCEPHOBIA - The fear that what we just bought is today will be cheaper and better tomorrow. That's why Digital Designs has successfully worked out UPGRADES for every model we've ever made. Now you can rest assured your speakers will be up-to-date!

they also keep a tight dealer network to keep up their standards and service . I dont know about you,i would rather have a to deal with someone in person, not some recorded automated machine telling me in the the good ol' US to dial #1 to speak to someone in english. followed by another prompt " your call will be answered by the next available rep" 15 min and still waiting ?? or worse yet get cut off only to have to call again.

What ever happened to good ol fashioned SERVICE, being greeted by the salesman with product knowledge at the door saying " hello Mr/Mrs (your name here), how can i help you?" . That kind of service is rare in the big box retail world, where you are "sold"(also know as SWAT aka sell whats available today)" by some min wage sales person. I personally have driven many a mile to try it before i buy it, i would not buy a car on the internet either, shop ? probably , but these are what give some products their "intrinsic value". The way things are made nowadays i would rather shop like its an investment , with products like McIntosh so i would not have to use its warranty. Memories of Chris Farley's "Tommy Boy" invoked here:

Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?

Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of crap. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me....

I have have a dealer friend that had a sign that read :

" We offer the best Products and Services, If you want it cheaper ? What part do you want us to leave out ?!!!"

ps : if you buy something off the internet, it breaks into 2 pieces, both pieces are still your problem !!!

I dont know how many customers ive witnessed,that are completely lost when it comes to" what to buy". independent dealers can offer the SERVICES and EXPERTISE, sure you may PAY a lil more up front, but what it COST in the end is trivial .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.