Help me spec out a great stereo for my Jetta

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a 2006 Jetta. I want a better stereo in it.

From what I can gather online, the front doors have 3 separate speakers in them. An 8" woofer, a 5" midrange, and a shallow 3.5" tweeter. I don't know what speakers are in the rear, perhaps some 6x9's. There's apparently 8 speakers total, and 6 are in the front, so the rear setup is a tad simpler (although I'd love to add more, more is always better, right? ;))

I'd also like to add a sub to the trunk. Being sour-cream white, I listen to a lot of rap and techno ... stuff that really likes low & deep basslines. I'm thinking a ported 12" @ 135dB+ is just about what I want. I used to have a set of 8's @ 127dB that weren't quite enough.

What I'd like is recommendations for components all around. Wire, distribution blocks, amps, speakers, etc. I want a component set for the front that includes all 3 size speakers. I'd like a general direction to wander in for the rears (since I don't have enough information yet).

I will be lining the trunk and doors in Dynamat.

For caveats:

I'm partial to Audiobahn. I already have a nice set of 6x9's that need a home.

I *really* want to use Diamond amps. I've had nothing but luck with them, and they sound great. Plus, I already have a 4 channel x 100-watt amp (other one got stolen with my 8's :()

I'd like to use a RE Audio sub. My 8's were RE, pounded like a jackhammer, and have left a very pleasant taste in my mouth. So, try to keep suggestions there :)

Budget is $1500.

For the sub, find one u like, and reseach is great, then have a box custom made or maybe the factory sells one for the sub, and then find out the max watts and then RMS watts and then match an amp to it. And read the instructions for the sub, some dont like being ported.

And same for the speakers, u might want to make that 4ch amp u have to run just the rears, and again match the speakers to the amp. Same with the fronts.

People might think im nuts but I like clarion aor rockford punch subs, and u can get them in 2 or 4 Ohm depending on preference.

I would put the 6x9 you have in back. I'd figure out what you can do for processing like a HU or external processor. If you run active in front you have a hard time getting full range for the rears, or you can run passive in front or external xover/amp xover on a mid/tweeter. Get that figured out and I'd research some mid/tweeters that would fit in front in the price range you want to go with. Put some 8" midbass in there. Go with the amps and sub setup you want sounds like you have a handle on that. Hit some audio forums for suggestions on front comps or drivers however you go. If cheaper I'd check out daytons, more cash you can go morel or something, or get some comps you like.

I like 6x9 but some people don't, some people don't like rears at all....they will tell you not to use them. I'd try for pair of 12s or a 15 if you run 8s in front, if you have the room for it.

I have not used 8s for a long time. The issue used to be you got to 30Hz and there was nothing there, since I was looking for some SQ not all out loud. If you didn't care about getting that low then they worked fine, otherwise you just xmaxed the snot out of them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.