Car stereo doesnt want to play CD's anymore. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2009, 04:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Default Car stereo doesnt want to play CD's anymore.

Ok I have been trying to fix a car amp (with the Help of Perry Babin), and have been using a 12 Volt 18 Amp power supply for power.

My head unit is a Clarion DRX9575Rz and has been playing CD's just fine until this morning and came up with two errors -

1 - A CD cannot be played due to scratches,
etc.
2 - A CD is loaded upside-down inside the CD
deck and does not play.

I even changed the cd and now it just continully says -A CD is loaded upside-down inside the CD
deck and does not play.

Help is needed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 05:08 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Have you tried taking it apart and cleaning the lens? I did this to a friend's Clarion which didn't read discs and it fixed it. A car's interior is a dirty dusty place. No doubt that lens is coated in dust. We used a fresh cotton swab and a bit of rubbing alcohol. You might also want to see if the rails the laser rides on are clean. Maybe they could us a cleaning and a bit of light grease.
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 05:29 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally posted by Rodmunch
Have you tried taking it apart and cleaning the lens? I did this to a friend's Clarion which didn't read discs and it fixed it. A car's interior is a dirty dusty place. No doubt that lens is coated in dust. We used a fresh cotton swab and a bit of rubbing alcohol. You might also want to see if the rails the laser rides on are clean. Maybe they could us a cleaning and a bit of light grease.

Ok, ill try that, thanx D
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 05:42 PM   #4
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Also another thing I didnt know that Car stereo's do, is when its on FM radio, it show the radio station name and song that is playing, it doesnt even do that with most CD's.

Is that a new feature of radio stations or has this been done always??
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 08:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
OK openrd up the case and put some air to it, then put the CD back in and the CD doesnt spin.
__________________
Jensen KA 4660HLx 4ch 540W
Pyramid PB675 4 ch 800W
  Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2009, 09:27 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Steerpike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Quote:
Originally posted by HeavyD'sCustom
Also another thing I didnt know that Car stereo's do, is when its on FM radio, it show the radio station name and song that is playing, it doesnt even do that with most CD's.

Is that a new feature of radio stations or has this been done always??
It's called RDS (Radio data system) or Radio Broadcast Data System in the USA, and has been around about 20 years. Its real 'feature' is that it tells the radio all the other frequencies that the current station is broadcast on, so the radio jumps transmitters automatically as you drive - to alway get the best signal.
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 12:48 AM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally posted by Steerpike


It's called RDS (Radio data system) or Radio Broadcast Data System in the USA, and has been around about 20 years. Its real 'feature' is that it tells the radio all the other frequencies that the current station is broadcast on, so the radio jumps transmitters automatically as you drive - to alway get the best signal.
If this is so, why dont other radios do that, or would it be the station?


still need to fix y the cd doesnt spin.

Thanx D
__________________
Jensen KA 4660HLx 4ch 540W
Pyramid PB675 4 ch 800W
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 03:16 AM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Not all radios come equipped with RDS. Only some do.

You used compressed air to clean the lens? I don't think that was such a good idea. You don't want to force more dust/dirt into the mechanism. A simple wipe on the lens with an alcohol soaked q-tip is all that's needed. What was the condition of the rails? Did the player spin CDs before you tried to clean it?
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 03:24 AM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally posted by Rodmunch
Not all radios come equipped with RDS. Only some do.

You used compressed air to clean the lens? I don't think that was such a good idea. You don't want to force more dust/dirt into the mechanism. A simple wipe on the lens with an alcohol soaked q-tip is all that's needed. What was the condition of the rails? Did the player spin CDs before you tried to clean it?
actually id ont think so, if i apply 3 volts to the motor directly, the motor spins. Wont spin at 2 volts, and without any outside voltage, it reads 0.22 volts when i insert a CD but doesnt spin.

Im thinking the motor might be gone.

Any other idea's?????
__________________
Jensen KA 4660HLx 4ch 540W
Pyramid PB675 4 ch 800W
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 03:36 AM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally posted by HeavyD'sCustom


actually id ont think so, if i apply 3 volts to the motor directly, the motor spins. Wont spin at 2 volts, and without any outside voltage, it reads 0.22 volts when i insert a CD but doesnt spin.

Im thinking the motor might be gone.
That sounds logical. Hopefully you can find a replacement. I imagine it wouldn't be too pricey.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
looking for a sub amp - doesnt have to be a plate.... needmorstuff Swap Meet 1 12th August 2009 09:24 PM
can't play stereo yngwie Solid State 2 17th August 2007 05:05 AM
Marantz CD94 doesnt play Daveylodge Digital Source 1 24th December 2006 03:28 AM
Amps pilot light doesnt turn in, speaker doesnt work silentblackhat Solid State 2 17th March 2006 03:08 PM
my dealer doesnt do BG`s anymore wazzup Parts 5 24th February 2003 06:21 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 07:06 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2