Car stereo doesnt want to play CD's anymore.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok I have been trying to fix a car amp (with the Help of Perry Babin), and have been using a 12 Volt 18 Amp power supply for power.

My head unit is a Clarion DRX9575Rz and has been playing CD's just fine until this morning and came up with two errors -

1 - A CD cannot be played due to scratches,
etc.
2 - A CD is loaded upside-down inside the CD
deck and does not play.

I even changed the cd and now it just continully says -A CD is loaded upside-down inside the CD
deck and does not play.

Help is needed.

Have you tried taking it apart and cleaning the lens? I did this to a friend's Clarion which didn't read discs and it fixed it. A car's interior is a dirty dusty place. No doubt that lens is coated in dust. We used a fresh cotton swab and a bit of rubbing alcohol. You might also want to see if the rails the laser rides on are clean. Maybe they could us a cleaning and a bit of light grease.

Rodmunch said:
Have you tried taking it apart and cleaning the lens? I did this to a friend's Clarion which didn't read discs and it fixed it. A car's interior is a dirty dusty place. No doubt that lens is coated in dust. We used a fresh cotton swab and a bit of rubbing alcohol. You might also want to see if the rails the laser rides on are clean. Maybe they could us a cleaning and a bit of light grease.

Ok, ill try that, thanx D

HeavyD'sCustom said:
Also another thing I didnt know that Car stereo's do, is when its on FM radio, it show the radio station name and song that is playing, it doesnt even do that with most CD's.

Is that a new feature of radio stations or has this been done always??

It's called RDS (Radio data system) or Radio Broadcast Data System in the USA, and has been around about 20 years. Its real 'feature' is that it tells the radio all the other frequencies that the current station is broadcast on, so the radio jumps transmitters automatically as you drive - to alway get the best signal.

Steerpike said:

It's called RDS (Radio data system) or Radio Broadcast Data System in the USA, and has been around about 20 years. Its real 'feature' is that it tells the radio all the other frequencies that the current station is broadcast on, so the radio jumps transmitters automatically as you drive - to alway get the best signal.

If this is so, why dont other radios do that, or would it be the station?

still need to fix y the cd doesnt spin.

Thanx D

Not all radios come equipped with RDS. Only some do.

You used compressed air to clean the lens? I don't think that was such a good idea. You don't want to force more dust/dirt into the mechanism. A simple wipe on the lens with an alcohol soaked q-tip is all that's needed. What was the condition of the rails? Did the player spin CDs before you tried to clean it?

Rodmunch said:
Not all radios come equipped with RDS. Only some do.

You used compressed air to clean the lens? I don't think that was such a good idea. You don't want to force more dust/dirt into the mechanism. A simple wipe on the lens with an alcohol soaked q-tip is all that's needed. What was the condition of the rails? Did the player spin CDs before you tried to clean it?

actually id ont think so, if i apply 3 volts to the motor directly, the motor spins. Wont spin at 2 volts, and without any outside voltage, it reads 0.22 volts when i insert a CD but doesnt spin.

Im thinking the motor might be gone.

Any other idea's?????

HeavyD'sCustom said:

actually id ont think so, if i apply 3 volts to the motor directly, the motor spins. Wont spin at 2 volts, and without any outside voltage, it reads 0.22 volts when i insert a CD but doesnt spin.

Im thinking the motor might be gone.

That sounds logical. Hopefully you can find a replacement. I imagine it wouldn't be too pricey.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.