Help with an amp, turns on but no sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pin 3 is being driven high. Does it go back to pin 1 or pin 7 of the 8 pin IC (via resistors, possibly)?

If so, post the voltages on that IC also.

Pin 1:
Pin 2:
Pin 3:
Pin 4:
Pin 5:
Pin 6:
Pin 7:
Pin 8:

What's the number on the 8 pin IC?

It may also go to a PNP transistor (likely small, black, shaped like the letter D).

4558D

Pin 1: 10.34
Pin 2: 0.0
Pin 3: 5.62
Pin 4: 0.0
Pin 5: 1.42
Pin 6: 5.03
Pin 7: 1.42
Pin 8: 11.25

Attachments

• 4558d#.jpg
    4558d#.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 170
Perry Babin said:
Earlier, you removed at least one output transistor. Did you pull it to check it? Did you check the output transistors to determine if any were shorted?

I removed it to check it and to see if the reading changed once it was out. According to the data sheet it is fine.

I wanted to check the diff to a working amp, and my sony had a reading of 19 Volts on the #2 pin on the output transistors.

And I thought about putting the one transistor in place in a good amp, but dont want to break a good amp.

Perry Babin said:
Are you sure that none of the output transistors are shorted?

not sure, but im going to take this amp as a learner and take things off the board until i find a bad part(s).

If it was an expensive amp, I would continue.

Thanx for your help. (And will post if i find the problem).

I dont knw if u seen my other post on my source unit, the cd doesnt spin anymore, now I do want to fix that. - http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143348

I saw the other post but didn't have anything to offer to the discussion. If it doesn't spin, there could be a number of problems. I quit working on CD player mechanisms when the replacement cost of the entire head unit dropped to less than the price of the service manual and the replacement parts.

To check the outputs in the amp, use the form (link) on the following page (the one for BJTs).

http://www.bcae1.com/repairbasicsforbcae1/images/transistortestpage02.html

Perry Babin said:
I saw the other post but didn't have anything to offer to the discussion. If it doesn't spin, there could be a number of problems. I quit working on CD player mechanisms when the replacement cost of the entire head unit dropped to less than the price of the service manual and the replacement parts.

To check the outputs in the amp, use the form (link) on the following page (the one for BJTs).

http://www.bcae1.com/repairbasicsforbcae1/images/transistortestpage02.html

OK ill hav a look at that link, and only reason i want to fix the cd deck is because it is not cheaper to replace, since its a source unit and real source units are not cheap, there is no built in amp, just 3 sets of RCA's to goto amps.

Thanx D

Perry Babin said:
The center terminal is connected to the tab. That's normal.

transistortestpage01 is for BJTs (like the output transistors). The FET section of transistortestpage02 is for FETs. You Z44s are likely OK.

ok tested again and the Z44's have .6 ohm
and the C2500 and BY028E have .5 ohm

my other amp (which i started to diagnose after giving up on the first one) that not working has one IRFZ34N out of 4 has a closed circuit even with a jumper. the other three read .56 Ohm.

does that mean the one is bad?

And should i put one of the good ones from the first amp in place or better to do all 4?

Perry Babin said:
Where were the probes (red/black, which FET legs) when you tested the Z44s?

Were they out of the board?

From the voltages you posted earlier, they appeared to be OK.

ya i have the 4 Z44 out and the Z34 out.
and for all 7 of them the black PIN2 and red PIN 3

and pin 1 and 3 joined by wire.

---------------------------------------------------------------
the other C2500 and BY028E and F12C20A(2) are red PIN 2 and Black PIN 3.

and pin 1 and 3 joined by wire.

If you place the leads:

red > 2
Black > 3

Do you read an open circuit on the IRFZ34 and the Z44s? If so, they're OK.

The rectifiers appear to be OK. You don't need to short anything out to check those. As long as there is no short (0 ohms) between any of the legs (out of the board), they're likely OK.

The output transistors are the only heatsink mounted components that can cause the amp to go into protect. If they're OK, you likely have either a defective drive circuit for the outputs or a fault in the protection circuit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.