Three 10" 4Ohm subs, wired in series or series-parallel?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
team_innovative:
ok check this out... running three drivers in series parallel with an ohm load of 12 isn't practicle inless your setting it up for some kind of a competition.

Not series parallel, just 3 x 4ohm woofers in series.

What is impractical about it?

i have been installing car audio and mobile electronics since 1999. i have a vast knowledge of products and technique.

Congratulations, maybe we should form a club?

running three svc subs to a 12 ohm load set up isn't in the benefit of the overall performance of the sound system.

Depends entirely on the 3 subs, the amp, the car, and the expectations. But, if you have 3 SVC 4 ohm woofers and an amp that's not stable below 2 ohms stereo, that could very well produce the best results.

Never say never about things car audio.

Sorry all, have not had alot of time to update on this set up.

Done! What I've done, I built a box, ran the three subs in parallel (1.33 Ohm to amp), bridged.

It sounds amazing, lots of bass, it is working perfectly. But obviously I am pushing the amp to its limits. I'm pretty sure amp is running alot hotter than it should be. :)

Tim

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I had four DVC subs running coils in series and then parallel, so a 2 ohm load x 1 channel. I swapped another amp in that would only run 4 ohm x 1 for sub, so I wired them pairs in series to get 8 ohms. The subs are all IB in a back seat baffle, so might not be good to run only half of them but I didn't try it since double the drivers should give me around the db of half the wattage anyway IIRC? It has 150rms into 4 ohms I don't know into 8. It works for normal listening, it will not go real loud. But I imagine four 12s of cone area helps output on modest power. The previous amp was 420rms into 2 ohms and shook the car pretty good, I just wanted to test this one out mostly for the sound in the highs and to see if it worked right since it was supposedly broken and does not seem to be after month plus of use. But it must be putting out around 25rms per sub, something to laugh about, however it does work well up to maybe max volume a good stock system would have except it gets pretty deep doing it.

Yeah I would pick up a 1 ohm stable sub amp. I have a little insignia I got cheap that is 400rms @ 1 ohm I think, cheap amp but not tried it yet. It seemed to work well into a 2 ohm sub on the bench.

Amp, Pheonix Gold Sapphire 3.0:

http://ampguts.realmofexcursion.com/Phoenix_Gold_Sapphire_SA3.0X/

Bridged, it's stable at 4Ohm:

1 x 220W @ 4 ohms bridge (12V)

My three subs in parallel are at 1.33Ohm. Heck of alot of bass, and again, the only issue I can see is if I pump the volume loud for too long, due to the heat from the transistors to the heatsink.

So for now it works as I need it. Hoping to maybe get another amp for the subs, and use this amp to power the mids and other speakers when ready.

Tim

Just to be clear!!!!

Grab a calculator and plug 4 in and then hit 1/x plus 4 and then hit 1/x and 4 and then hit 1/x.... as many 8, 4, 2 or 1 ohm loads as you want to figure out...Press = then 1/x.

:D

Attachments

• Parallel.JPG
    Parallel.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 28
If I may continue on this thread. I am getting eight 12" woofers with 4 ohm (same/similar as Metallica uses in the TM Array). I would like to make a nice midbass array out of these. Problem is I want to use a powerful amp and I only have one.
Sound quality wise, is series/parallell just awful? I read series will screw up the Q and reduce my bass.

I.e., four 4 ohm 12" on either side in a vertical array driven by a 400W amp, connected in series/parallell. The amp would see 4ohm.

What????

I think the formula explains it a whole lot better, lol.:joker:

Thats what you would do on a calculator, exactly what the formula explains.
Just trying to help...
This was confusing.....
team_innovative Said... "If you run all three subs in parallel the current ohm load will be 1". :confused:
What :confused: No... 1.333 !!!!

"would agree that running 3svc subs to a 12ohm load isn't an effective or practical application"
How do you run subs, (which are the load), to a load? Uh, what???

I Am An Idiot says "3 X 4 = 1.33 or 12" What???? :confused: 3 x 4 = 12.

Just saying

Just to be clear!!!!

Grab a calculator and plug 4 in and then hit 1/x plus 4 and then hit 1/x and 4 and then hit 1/x.... as many 8, 4, 2 or 1 ohm loads as you want to figure out...Press = then 1/x.

corrected... sorry...
Grab a calculator and plug 4 in and then hit 1/x plus 4 and then hit 1/x and plus 4 and then hit 1/x.... as many 8, 4, 2 or 1 ohm loads as you want to figure out...Press = then 1/x.

Excuse me, but I am trying to hijack a thread here. Back to my question.

Will eight 12" midwoofers, 4ohm each, with four in each array, connected in series/parallell (=4 ohm), sound much worse than if they were amped separately?

Last edited:
Just two arrays, with 4 12" in each. If I have understood it correct, I can connect two in series + two in series and connect them in parallell. Then do the same thing on the other side. This way the 400W amp would see 4 ohm and all is fine. I can't afford a home amp that does 2 ohm. But the amp will be decent enough! Lowpassed at 600Hz, I doubt it matters. At this point I just want to move air, where my horn speakers have failed me (to small horns, another story).

But... I read that connecting woofers in series will affect Q and reduce bass. This is midbass woofers, but still. I don't want to screw up my Q. Any thoughts on this? And I am considering series/parallell, which may screw up everything even more.

Alternatively I could scrape up two cheap 4x100W chipamps per array and hope they will drive the eight woofers separately with enough conviction. In their original cabinets the woofers are driven by a 1125W AB/H amp channel per woofer, that produce up to 138dB.

Achieving 138dB will be next project. I will also require forty TM Array subs hanging from the ceiling.

Last edited:
I've tried both with dual coils (a combination of parallel and then series or series than parallel as well as all series and all parallel) and I have not notice a difference in SQ or output power (of course expect what your going to get with a different ohm load).

Old manuals for sub recommended a combination of both to achieve the desire load. Again I've only done this with subs.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.