JL 500/1v2 amp Burned Resistors - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th April 2009, 09:47 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

JL mainly uses 1% components. For this application, either 5% or 1% would be OK. The 1% 1/8w part is:
270-47-RC

When you install the replacement resistors, install them so that there is 1/8-1/4" of clearance between the board and the body of the resistor. You'll have to determine how high they can be so that they don't touch the clip that holds the transistor in place. Having them off of the board will help prevent damage to the board if they burn again.
Old 25th April 2009, 10:11 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Ok. Thanks for the reply!! I've replaced 5 so far... I'll have to adjust the clearance now. Thanks a lot.
Old 26th April 2009, 06:06 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Well, i have all the resistors in place. I'm currently waiting on the transistors to arrive. Just for knowledge, the 500/1v2 doesn't have the clips that the 500/1 had. This one is a little different. it has a straight bar that spans the length of the board and holds the transistors against the heat thingie.
Old 28th April 2009, 11:22 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Hey, quick question...The heatsink has a thin layer of what looks to be "mica" where there is thermal compound on both sides...one that makes it stick to the heatsink and the other side makes the flush connection with the transistor...is this thin film needed? the reason i ask is because as i was trying to wipe all the old compound off of it, i accidently broke it in half.
Old 28th April 2009, 11:26 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

An insulator is needed and mica is one of the better choices. Position the insulator so that the break falls between the transistors. You also need to replace the white heatsink compound.
Old 28th April 2009, 11:29 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Sounds good, i think i can do that. Thanks man for all the help...after reading so many posts...you really know your crap and have helped a lot of people.

Hide this!Advertise here!