high efficiency midrange

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anyone have suggestions for an efficient 5"-7" midrange with reasonable excursion and power handling that won't put me into foreclosure?

I'm playing around with an old set of horn/waveguides, and need something to match up reasonably well to give them a fair shake.

I see the Audax PR-17's are still available, but I'd prefer them to get down to the 200 Hz range with reasonable power handling.

Eminence makes an interesting 6" pro driver, but I don't know how well they would fare for reproduction purposes.

Suggestions or experiences?

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Lots of them in the pro world
But they all seem to have a problem with frequencies below 500hz or so

To me the best one could very well be Supravox 215GMF, but its relatively expencive
And it is probably not very well suited fore very loud SPL, but on the other hand it may shine at moderate SPL

At the moment I focus on double Eminence Beta-8, a cheap simple and sound driver that makes a lot of sense

Though Beymas 10G40 and 12G40 seems useable, Im a bit hifiish oldscool where even an 8" used as mid would be streching the limit

tinitus said:
Lots of them in the pro world
But they all seem to have a problem with frequencies below 500hz or so

To me the best one could very well be Supravox 215GMF, but its relatively expencive
And it is probably not very well suited fore very loud SPL, but on the other hand it may shine at moderate SPL

At the moment I focus on double Eminence Beta-8, a cheap simple and sound driver that makes a lot of sense

Though Beymas 10G40 and 12G40 seems useable, Im a bit hifiish oldscool where even an 8" used as mid would be streching the limit

Thanks for the input tinitus. And thanks for dropping into the car audio forum without prejudice. I constantly lurk the other forums here, and see that your input is wise...

Loud SPL isn't a goal, but I know myself, and will likely find their limits. I haven't smoked a pair of drivers since 1986, but that just means I'm due :hot:.
The Supravox are a little pricey as I don't expect to keep this setup permanently. And I'm not really interested in the effort required to get an 8" Beymas up front..

Eminence is the pinch hitter thus far, and hard to argue. Are they reasonable for reproduction? Probably 75-100wpc/4ohms to be delivered with 24db active HP.

The goal is to bring the horns in around 1kHz, which may require significant work to tame them. Thus the desire for a low HP point.

Quite frankly, I'm expecting to be unhappy with the (horn) results. But I'll give them every opportunity I can afford to work.

ca90ss said:

I'll be using the B&C 6mdn44 down to 250hz in my car. The phl 1120 should also handle a 250hz xo point at reasonably high output levels. I'd also look into the Faital Pro offerings as well.

Thanks for the tips, ca90ss. I haven't looked into B&C yet, and was unaware of Fatial.

Have you had experience with the B&C's, or are you gambling on published information and recommendations of others? I'll be interested in your impressions on these when they're in.

tsmith1315 said:

Thanks for the tips, ca90ss. I haven't looked into B&C yet, and was unaware of Fatial.

Have you had experience with the B&C's, or are you gambling on published information and recommendations of others? I'll be interested in your impressions on these when they're in.

I've used the B&C 6ndl38 in the past and was happy with their performance used in a 2 way with horns. I decided to go 3 way this time and wanted something with a little more output than the 6ndl38 could offer. I've only spent a few minutes listening to them fullrange off my ht receiver so I can't really comment on them but as soon as I get them installed I'll let you know what I think of them.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005

Attachments

• rcf.jpg
    rcf.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 303
ca90ss said:

I've used the B&C 6ndl38 in the past and was happy with their performance used in a 2 way with horns.

Would you mind expanding on that a little? Like what type of horn/driver you're using, and what you're looking to improve by going 3-way. Are you keeping the horns?

And I'm interested in the how well the B&C's handled midrange detail.

tinitus said:

Too big to go up front in the car, but it certainly inspires a few ideas!

djQUAN said:
hmmm. what about these?

powerbass mids

Those look great, any clue on the price range? I don't see FR graphs, have to back & look again when there's time...

tsmith1315 said:

Would you mind expanding on that a little? Like what type of horn/driver you're using, and what you're looking to improve by going 3-way. Are you keeping the horns?

And I'm interested in the how well the B&C's handled midrange detail.

I had the 6ndl38's crossed from 80hz-1.6k initially with Bms 4540nd drivers on a set of ID mini horn bodies. I then swapped the 4540's for a pair of 4552nd's and dropped the mid/horn xo down to 1k.

Detail of the B&C's wasn't bad. They're a bit on the warm side of things. They'll play up to about 3k without any major problems but I preferred to keep them at 1k or below since they seemed to lose a bit of detail crossed over higher.

Still going to use the horns in the current install. I'll be using a set of ID full size bodies with the same 4552nd drivers although I may switch back to the mini bodies since they seemed to sound a bit better unless I can find a pair of straight entry illusion or veritas bodies. My main goals for going 3-way this time is to have more midbass output and a little more output capability overall. I'll be using a set of B&C 8ndl51's for midbass duties.

tsmith1315 said:
Those look great, any clue on the price range? I don't see FR graphs, have to back & look again when there's time... [/B]

when I asked a shop owner I know, he was willing to sell me a bnew pair of the 6.5's for approx US$122. not sure about the exact SRP.

I heard a friend's car having two of those in each door and they do play loud and sound good. don't know how much EQ'ing he did but he didn't use an outboard processor. just an Alpine full active capable HU then to the amps. although I think you would need an 8" for those to blend nicely to most car subs. They can blend OK without a midbass but I prefer them with midbasses. ;)

Thanks for the input guys. It will be a little while before I can persue this experiment, and it will be fairly low-budget.

I can get what I want out of lower efficiency drivers I already have. But, I'm bored and want to experiment with stuff i've overlooked in the past. This will probably be an exercise in driver mods and getting the most out of inexpensive drivers.

Any further suggestions are appreciated.

djQ, those Powerbass still look good. Midbass is not an issue, as i have several 6-7-8" woofers to choose from already in the shop:D . The mid/tweets will be evaluated by themselves first.

ca90, thanks for the details. I'll eventually be going 3-way, too. But for now, I just want to evaluate the horn option as opposed to a two-way on the dash instead. The horns will need to go down to about 1kHz to merit the change. At least, I think so. And your compression drivers are better than mine!

tinitus, the difference between the Eminence A/C is the impedance. Simply by price default, they may win. I was hoping for more choices, but the budget is getting contsricted.
The Eighteensound that you and ca90ss suggested look nice, I have no idea what they cost yet.

If anyone is interested, I'll post the subjective results of my foolishness when it happens.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
US Speaker, 129USD fore the 18sound

The thing I like about the Beta8 is that the new model has the dustcap from the popular Alpha6, and cone looks very much like whats used in a couple of both 18sound and B&C, and ofcourse the good sensitivity...havent heard them though :smash:

About difference of Alpha-6A and 6C
Well, its surely much more than just impedance
Totally different response curves
All specs are slightly different too
Alpha-6C is a much later model, so probably improved, but not seen in EU yet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.