Is there a nakamichi MB-100 mod to play CD-R's?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got the mod for the MF-51, and it's great. Played every CD under the sun.

But Ive been prepping my MB-100 to go into the car, and noticed again that it really can not play CD-R's

Surely there must be a way to make the MB-100 play recorded CD's in as robust a manner as the MF-51 after the mod?

skips around like it is having trouble tracking. Jumps through time, jumps back in time, sometimes acts like it is in fast forward for a few seconds.

The general kind of behavior associated with a CD-R that is bad or old or on it's way out.

But this happens with CDs every other player under the sun has no troubles with, and the unit plays manufactured CDs just fine.

I don't really burn CD's all that often, so I have onsey-twosey CD's all over the place.

I had a chance to make some love to my MB-100 today and noticed that it wasn't in fact all CD-R's as I previously thought, it was picking and choosing which it wanted to play and which it did not want to play.

So let me turn that question around on you if I may. What kind of CD's do YOU use, and do you own an older CD player?

Last time i burnt a audio cd was about 3 years ago i always used verbatim and tdk the verbatim discs were better then the tdk ones.

It might also be crappy nero you might want to try different software
Infrarecorder is the best one i know of for windows

i don't have any old players that work but some old home cd players iv used didn't play cds written at high speeds.

Verbatim are good quality.

Taiyo Yuden is also a very good brand. They make blank media for all sorts of people.

Personally I've had horrible luck with TDK (this was going back a few years) Memorex and Sony.

Those seem to have the highest rate of incompatibility with older cd players.

Burning speed plays almost as big a factor as the media itself I've found.

thanks guys. I microfibered the lens and verified spec free. as you all might imagine, there were several particles on the lens. Couldnt detect smudges/fingerprints, but I wouldnt have been surprised.

Unfortunately I don't have results to report yet as I only just installed the player. I'll let you guys know.

-----

By the way, did you guys know that all 22 faceplate buttons are connected to the main control board inside the player via two complete resistor ladder circuits? Very interesting.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.