Building a Car Amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all...

I am very interested in building my own car audio amplifier and was hoping you guys would give me some direction...

I would be interested in both chip based or solidstate designs.

I would greatly appreciate your advise and suggestions for good resources.

Thanks,
J

If you're going to use a chip amp, go to that forum to get suggestions on which chip you should use.

Discrete amps can produce more power but are probably not a good choice if this is your first amp.

After you decide on the chip amp you're going to use, then you can start thinking about the power supply. For low power amps (up to 20 watts into 4 ohms), you can run them off of the 12v from the battery. For more power, you'll need more rail voltage so you'll have to build a switching power supply.

Have you taken into consideration how much juice your cars charging system is going to need to supply this monster? 1000Watts at 12 volts equals about 80 amps not including loss wasted in heat. (Not to mention how much you'll annoy your neighbors!:whazzat: ) and I doubt whether DIY will actually save money, but it IS a learning experience. My 2c worth (old fogey)

Sparky,

I am a sound quality guy... I don't plan to annoy too many neighbors. I can probably just go buy an amplifier for less money but what would I learn ?

I've been into car audio for a number of years and have wanted to try my own hand at building an amplifier that is custom fit to my needs...

If you're not into printing (or having printed) circuit boards, you may want to find a couple of cheap amps and cut the audio section of the board away. That will give you the power supply and you can use the rest of the heatsink for your amplifier.

If you don't do that, you'll have to make the printed circuit boards for the power supplies. If you don't use kits for the audio amplifier, you will have to make your own boards (either printed or perforated breadboard).

Most people don't realize how much time it will take to do something like this but you can expect to spend more than 100 hours on it if you produce everything from scratch.

I don't know of any that relate to car audio amplifiers. Maybe someone else can offer suggestions.

Post a message on the solid state forum asking for suggestions for a relatively simple amp capable of producing ~500 watts into 4 ohms. If nothing else, you can simply copy one of the common Chinese/Korean amps. The amplifiers will work perfectly fine for subwoofer duty.

By chip amp do you mean something like an STK type chip? I have a car amp that works well. What I've wondered about them is if you can color the sound at all? I think I'd just use a class D for sub, and build only a 4ch, unless I could build a class D more easily somehow like off an IC or kit.

Thanks for the links Perry I'll have to read up. Yeah I figure it would be to learn and not much else.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.