Alpine CDA-7995 Repair Q.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all, first post on here. From what I've seen, I'm not sure why I didn't find this place sooner :D

Now, onto the question...

I'm looking at picking up an Alpine CDA-7995 for pretty cheap, however it has stopped reading CDs, but everything else works fine...

I assume it's the laser pickup that's failed, it happened on my CDA-7949 once before, but after getting it repaired it's perfectly fine.

I'm pretty good with a soldering iron, and enjoy working on electronics, so my question is, what sort of difficulty level am I looking at for opening this baby up and replacing a laser pickup??

Further more, what would I need to get from PacParts to accomplish this task, just the Laser Pickup (81B50360Y01), or would there be other parts that would be worth while to replace while I had the top off?

Are there better parts places out there for Alpine parts?

Cheers,
ACraig

My 10-years old Alpine CD changer has no problem. Never replaced the laser. Very hard to break it.

Someone repaired your CDA-7949 once before? They have REPLACED laser head? Probably you have paid for that, but they have adjusted your unit, and laser head is probably still the same.

If you really want to change the laser head, order that, then open the unit, remove the mechanics block and replace the unit.

But if you want an advice, read this: http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_cdfaq.html

Then try to open your unit.

I'm not sure about Alpine decks but when replacing the pickup in Pioneer head units (years ago), the procedure was not simple. The procedure required that you put the head unit in a test mode and switch various circuits (focus servo, tracking servo...) on to make adjustments. Some of the adjustments were very sensitive. There was no way to get them right without going through the procedure in a specific order. I think Pioneer had more adjustments than others but it may not be as simple as replacing the laser pickup.

I also needed to replace the same part. (the orange ribbon was torn) Went over to Pac Parts and picked up the part.... Which is for Alpine CDE-7872.. I installed it and closely made sure to put it in exactly the way I took it apart......We'll to sat the least It still can't read the CD. I don't know why??? I even took it apart 2 more times and still gives me the code -----E Which means "Mechanism error" If anybody could help, I'd appreciate it. This is also my very first log in....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.