Car Amp LA4440

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

I am trying to build an amplifier around LA4440. There is also a preamp, which is feeding the input to the main amp. I am driving my preamp from the RCA output of a car tape.

When the input to the preamp is not connected to the car tape, if I increase the volume of the amplifier I hear loud humming.

If I connect the car tape RCA output to the preamp input and increase the volume of main amp, then there is a loud flutter.

I have been breaking my head on this! :smash:
I checked the pot meters and they are properly grounded.. :dead:
Can anyone tell me what do I need to solve the problems mentioned above??

Hi Perry,

I am trying out the circuit using transformers right now and the humming has gone away completely. thanks to your trick - I grounded the amp & preamp to the head unit.

I have a new question for you:
The pre-amp output from my tape is basically a pseudo signal. What they have done is they have put a 22k resistor in series with 1MF electrolytic capacitor to the speaker out and provided a new RCA jack!!

Now when I am feeding this output to my preamp input, the sound is muffled..its not clear. I guess the impedances are not matching? What do I need to do for this??

Attachments

• schematics.gif
    schematics.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 408
Hi Perry - I am using the LA4440 in bridged mode, here's the schematic for the same. I got this circuit readymade from the market. The schematic just shows the LA4440 in bridged mode, I dont have the circuit diagram for the preamp & bass-treble module :eek:
Basicall the pre-amp is using a chip - HWCT35244 and 2 transistors BC548. I could not find any information or datasheet on HWCT35244 :confused:

Eagerly awaiting inputs from you

Attachments

• la4440.jpg
    la4440.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 385
I dont see any capacitor on the input (Pin 2) in the schematic :whazzat:

Also I observed that when I connected the speaker out of the headunit directly to the amp pin, the sound is loud & clear - but I loose the bass-treble controls. And when I give the RCA out to the preamp, then the sound is still loud - but it is muffled.

Thanks for you valuable time Perry, I really appreciate your help. But, as I told before, I got this circuit readymade from the market..hence I dont have the schematics.

But all I know is that the preamp has a shielded wire which we are supposed to connect to tape head (deck mechanism), so I assume the input impedance would be approx 200 ohms.

I want to drive the preamp + AMP using my car tape RCA out (pre-amp) and this is a Pyramid make 1704MP radio

I guess I am ok with 20Watts RMS, and my LA4440 in bridged mode can deliver upto 19W RMS to an 8Ohm load.

The preamp, which I am using is based on LA3161. I have the following questions for you:

1) What would be the impedance & output voltage of a cassette tape head?
2) Can I connect my preamp (LA3161) to the volume control of my car tape (Pyramid 1704MP)?? Schematic of the car tape attached.

Kindly advice.

Attachments

• pyramid 1704mp.jpg
    pyramid 1704mp.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 258
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.