amplifier power supply question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have a amp setting her that somebody else has repaired before . (a kicker kx1200.1) they replaced all the power supply transistors with IRF3205's . now all 8 of these parts are french fried....so my question is.....lol
how can i find out what the amp originally had ? other than seeing another one...lol... can you go off of what voltage/ amp values of the rectifiers?
would it be a good idea to just replace them with the irf3205's again?

The 3205s are a good choice if the gate resistors are less than 100 ohms (47 ohms were used in later models). What are the numbers on the gate resistors (R22, 23, 24...)?

Before you replace the FETs, you need to check the gate driver transistors (Q05, Q11?) near the TL494.

Does the amp have any shorted output transistors?

perry, the gate resistors are marked 101. they are the surface mount kind....they read 22ohms...

there are no shorted outputs, i found a q11, but it is a tiny tiny 3 leg part. one leg on to p 2 on the bottom....lol
how do i test it?

i also have a jbl1200.1 that had mismatch parts in the power supply that is blown...it had the irf3205, and a few of the original irf3710's . i went ahead and got the original parts to go back in , but the gate resistors are 47ohm....
would it be ok to use the irf3710 parts with the 47ohm resistors?

If the defective power supply FETs are in the circuit, they are causing the gate resistors to read low. You can't use the 3205s with the 100 ohm gate resistors.

Q05 is very near Q11. They are both KTA1504Ss. Look up the datasheet for that transistor or the MMBTA56 (the transistor I recommend you use instead of the 1504).

The original parts were the 3205s. The 3710s won't be as reliable in the power supply as the 3205s. Use the 3205s.

Q05 is very near Q11. They are both KTA1504Ss. Look up the datasheet for that transistor or the MMBTA56 (the transistor I recommend you use instead of the 1504).

on the kicker amp, i replaced all the outputs/power supply transistors, and replaced the gate resistors with 47ohm so i could use the 3205's. i bought a new 949, and 2 of the kta1504s's , but i just want to make sure which transistors i need to replace...Q05. and Q11 right?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

perry, when i put the board back in the heatsink. the amp puts out a high pitch wine. but if i take the board out and lay it on the table , it powers up and has sound.

ive completely covered the bottom of the amp. heatsink and transistors with tape to isolate the board from touching the heatsink. i can slide the board halfway in and is fine, but all the way in it wines ..????

i have put all the screws to hold the board down, and the heatsink holdowns. it still does that sound... sounds like it is grounding out somewhere.. if i hold the output side of the amp up off the heatsink a little , it will power up fine,

ive taped up the entire bottom of the heatsink the board sets on to. still makes that sound and doesnt power up....i guess its got to be something with the amp..???????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.