Are changer wires "dead" when turned off? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th February 2009, 01:11 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Are changer wires "dead" when turned off?

I am contemplating methods to add two cd changers to a car only intended for one. Given that CD changers have a remote turn on wire, I could theoretically route that through a DPST switch as a changer selector, and splice up all the other pins.

But I'm not sure that is a wise idea. if the CD player sends data, both changers will receive it. I would be counting on one changer ignoring the CD player completely as long as the turn on wire is pulled low (off).

Has anyone ever done experimentation with cd changers, any data logging, or any research that would indicate whether or not I can get away with this plan as is? I want to avoid making a switch with one relay per wire to switch back and forth. That is noisy, could lead to turn on or turn off pops, and is a comparative wiring mess and potentially complex. Would be nice to be able to just switch select remote turn on and splice the rest.

What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Steve

Hide this!Advertise here!