Pic chip in orion 275R

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i had some one bring me an ORION 275R today.. said it has engine noise.

so i hooked it up on the bench and it had poping noise comming from both channels.. after a bit of testing i started to think i was hearing the 1mhz from the crystal.. to make a long story shot i ended up pulling the pic chip from my working 275G4 and putting in the 275R and the noise went away.. just for giggles i put the 275R chip in my 275G4 and it also made the poping sound from the outputs...

Has any one ever tried to copy the PIC16C71 chips from the ORION amps. I have a programmer i need to check to see if it will do pic chips.. But would like some input if you have done this before..

Thanks
Sam

Yea i knew i could get the chips.. at one point in the past i used this same chip to make mod chips for playstation 1 so that i could play burnt games... :)

what i am worried about is.. some pic chips have code that will 0 the chip if it is read in a programmer.. i dont want to make my working amp a door stop by reading the pic.

i was hoping some one else had this problem at some point in time..

You should not have to worry about simply reading a PIC. I've never heard of (or experienced) a microcontroller failing to run after an attempted read assuming nothing else was done incorrectly.

The flash-based PICs/micros today are sometimes funny though.

That PIC is ROM only so it should be safe. However, in a commercial product it's a pretty safe bet the security bits are set and you can't retrieve the .HEX image.

It shouldn't hurt to try.

PS: why are you needing to replace the PIC?
PS2: should be pin-compatible replacement PICs available now

as i said in my first post, i need to replace it because it does not work right. it makes a poping sound when installed in the amp. i have tried swapping it into a my test unit and i get the same poping sound from my know good test unit.. if i put my known good pic from my test unit into the unit that has come in for service the noise goes away.. thus there is a problem with the pic..

i have replacement chips. just need code to load on chip.. the programmer i have will only read 3ffff from the working chip.. i have a new chip programmer on the way as i dont know if my old one is working as it should.

Sam

Hi, sorry if I misunderstood the original post.

If your programmer/reader is working correctly, and you get "3FFF" on a read, then unfortunately it's locked and can't be read.

Perhaps you could get the .hex file from Orion? Otherwise, maybe make a "saved search" on eBay for it to email you automatically when one pops up there.

Hmm...sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Well i take back what i said about the amp not running without the pic.. it seams the amp will run but does not light up the power led.. i all the xovers work high and low.. tomorrow i will check that the bridge and phase switches work. as of right now i do not see any function of the amp loss with out the pic just the power led...

I am thinking that the pic may be for the intelli-q.

Any one have any input?

I will post what i find tomorrow, im calling lights out for tonight.

If you remove the digital pot IC and short the H and W pins for each channel, the amp should work but won't have any remote level control. As far as I know, everything else should work properly.

If you leave the digital pot, the amp will probably work but the gain will be lower than normal. If I'm not mistaken, with no control signal, the digital pot will go to 50% output.

The power LED on most of the Orion amps is driven from the positive regulated supply (+15v).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.