Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2009, 03:15 AM   #1
genmin is offline genmin  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Mixed signals???

I am installing new 6.5 speakers in my 2001 Chevy truck, as to Pos. and Neg. leads, how do I determine which of the two wires is which. Some I have talked to say it makes no difference and another source says if wired wrong the speakers will be running out of phase. What is right and how would you check when you do not have an electrical schematic for the vehicle, any help will be appreciate, Thanks to all Genmin
Old 12th February 2009, 04:13 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

1 you don't want your speakers out of phase. Whom ever told it does not matter is ignorant about sound technology.

2 there is usually some tell tale sign of polarity on even stock speakers, and there is always a larger and smaller "keyed" connector to prevent polarity reversal even at the factory. The keying is used so the connector will not mount any other way then the correct way.

3 many stock HU's use bridged amps so both leads can be hot but in reverse polarity of one another to double output power to the speaker.

If you are still using your stock HU from the factory to power your new speakers then it will be up to you to pick a wiring scheme and then stick to it for all four speakers to keep the phasing issue all the same.

You can reverse phase on your speakers as long as you do it each speaker the exact same way. Then they will still be playing in phase with respect to each other, which is of the utmost importance to your install.

So pick a wiring scheme which wire goes where and wire them all alike using that scheme and you should be OK... Other then that you will need to locate the electrical wiring diagram from the car maker to figure out how they connected the original speakers. This will require your ability to read complex wiring diagrams. If you lack this training it will all be Greek....Or pay a installer to solve all these issues...That's about it, good luck...

PS if it sounds like all the sound is coming from one side then your speakers are out of phase. The sound will become one directional and not balanced from both sides, and or front to back. Usually the lower sounding side is out of phase with the other... You don't want to get this mixed up on your new speakers, it will sound horrible...
Old 12th February 2009, 04:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hello 1moreamp, I will take your advice, those replies I got as to "it don't matter which way the wire goes" came from a post at a the Duramax Truck Forum, I guess all those guys just go with the flow. I wanted it right and until I was told by the one guy about phasing it made me a little curious so I started this thread I did find a print out on the wire routing and yes they were all color coded for +- There must be hundreds of thousands running around out there out of phase. My problem was not with the speaker being marked, as they were, but was with the wires that were inside the door panel. Thanks again, at least we will do it right.
P.S. Much appreciation for a well thought response, your info was backed up by a book a friend loaned me. The book had a remark about how many bands and guitarist that sound so lousy because in their amps with more than one speaker many many times one will be wired out of phase, hence delivering a poor quality of reproduction, Huh, Thanks 1moreamp !!!!! Genmin
Old 12th February 2009, 06:34 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hope it was helpful, that's what we do here.....
Old 12th February 2009, 06:58 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

And again, much thanks for what you do here. over and out !

Hide this!Advertise here!