Capacitor connection question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2009, 02:00 AM   #1
Flyin11 is offline Flyin11  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Capacitor connection question

Hey all....I have had my capacitor hooked up this way for the last year now and have had no issues but after seeing some installation demostrations and some YouTube vids...I'm wondering if I might have it hooked up wrong? I followed the diagram on the capacitor box but this is the way I have it...

I have my main power wire coming from the battery to my fuse holder and fuse, to my distribution block, from the block to the capacitor, and finally from the capacitor to the amp....

Now, from what I'm seeing and reading...this is the suggestion given...

Go from your battery to your fuse holder with fuse, then go directly to the capacitor, then to the distribution block, and finally from the block to the amp....

With me going to a distribution block first and then to my cap...Is that the wrong way to do it? Does it make a difference?
Old 3rd February 2009, 02:05 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Caps are generally useless. Adding ANY resistance between them and the amp makes them less useful. Having the fuse between the cap and the amp would introduce too much resistance.

Having them after the fuse also adds a bit of protection in case the cap shorts (not likely but it could happen).
Old 3rd February 2009, 02:12 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I've heard all the conversations and arguments ...but it's the way it is with me. Just let me know if it sounds like it's right or not the way I have it setup...I'm confused from your response...
Old 3rd February 2009, 02:22 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

If you have it between the distribution block and the amp, that's the best it's going to get.

Caps are generally only useful for competition systems where they burp the amps and have FAR more than 1F/kW.
Old 3rd February 2009, 02:38 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Cool...Thanks...Tha's all I needed to know
Old 4th February 2009, 04:20 PM   #6
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

Closer to the amp is better. It may help your headlights dimming a little, and might help your alternator and other electronics in the car live longer, but usually does not help the amp in a way you will be able to hear. Perry has great info about it on his site.

Hide this!Advertise here!