orion 8002 doesnt work

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well i got ahold of an orion 8002, in great condition(dei version i beleive). I have another one, that works great. However the one i just got does not. The power light comes on, but it doesnt produce power. Fuse isnt blown, and i just dropped it in to replace my other 8002 to test, so it was all hooked up right. where should i start to see what i need to fix? thanks

The first thing you need to do is confirm that all of the ICs and the outputs have supply voltage.

I have no experience with the amp and am going by what I can see on ampguts.

On the TL074s, you should have +15v DC on the center pin on the bottom row and -15v DC on the center pin on the top row. Place your black meter probe on a non-bridging speaker terminal.

You should read approximately ±50v DC (guessing - maybe more or less) on the large green resistors. Again, black probe on non-bridging speaker terminal.

On the PIC IC (the one in the socket), place your black meter probe on pin5 and the red probe on pin 14, you should read ~5v. See attached for pin configuration.

Be very careful not to let your probes slip when probing ICs.

Attachments

• pic16711pinconfiguration01.gif
    pic16711pinconfiguration01.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 80
thank you perry, i havnt done that yet but i will soon.

I actually did find a burnt spot on the board, mainly on 2 resistors(they were close together). My dad gave me some replacements(he builds tube amps, but doesnt fool with this stuff). i put them in, and tested off off a 12v power supply. again the light came on, and no output. however those new resistors got really hot really quick, and yet the power supply was only 30 watts. so something is making them hot, ill get some pics here as soon as i can

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.