Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2009, 01:28 AM   #1
NED 209 is offline NED 209  Ireland
diyAudio Member

Default too many subs

hey all, ahhh, - 'nother novice question. i have a sony 1000watt amp running (at the moment) a kenwood 12" sub, havnt got the details at hand im afraid, its quite a nice one though, and an 8" ported sub of unknown make. the kenwood is in a sealed enclosure. so.

i just ran into two sony subs for real cheap -

http://www.dealtime.com/xPF-Sony-Son...-Car-Subwoofer

so. i wanna use all four with my two channel amp. heres the specs on the amp

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4RkxEOG...-2165GTX.html.

im thinking it can handle 2 ohm, so wire them in series (one cannel the unknown and the kenwood, the other channel the two sonys) - space is an issue too.... so im contemplating (wait for it) a dipole configuration for the sonys. if only i knew what i was talking about. let the reading commence.

any suggestions, comments, help, advice, criticizm, im all ears!

thanks,

ned .
Old 28th January 2009, 05:28 PM   #2
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

Most recommend only running identical subs at a particular frequency, because different responses could cancel or peak out between the subs. So same sub each in common or same size enclosures. If you do run say 12s and 8s, they say to run 12s <50Hz and 8s over 50Hz for example so they play different frequencies. That said I have run different subs together and had it work, so just have to try it but about four subs you don't get much more output. You might be better off with a larger amp or different enclosure, you can get a lot out of a pair of 12s...depending on what your goals are. I don't usually recommend any type of enclosure other than ported/sealed/IB or maybe BP or some kind of horn, but you can try it.
Old 29th January 2009, 12:09 AM   #3
spooney is offline spooney  United States
diyAudio Member

personally I would just get the two matching sony 12's and make the best possible enclosure for those two.I'm sure you would be more than happy with the two 12's enclosed properly.
Old 30th January 2009, 11:25 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

it will sound like *** with all different subs...I would rather have either or...only the same subs.

Its super ghetto and pretty much always sounds like crap. Different responses curves...difference loads...different group delays...basically it will sound like sloppy dog ***
Old 30th January 2009, 11:37 PM   #5
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by aznboi3644
sloppy dog ***

I'm not sure why that's so funny but I just had to clean the spit off my screen. For the rest of you, that word ends with a couple curvy letters.

Oh, I agree multiple subs should be done with the same driver. No two drivers sound the same. It'll be a serious clutter-****
Old 31st January 2009, 12:00 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

lol yeah I have idea where I got that phrase from...I just made it up one day when I responded to some one asking the same question about four different subs in one car lol

Hide this!Advertise here!