source of distortion??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > General Interest > Car Audio

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2009, 10:14 AM   #1
Dan2 is offline Dan2  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default source of distortion???

here's what i have in my car: a pioneer HU, Jenson 1000w 4ch amp,12"kenwood sub, 2 old pioneer 6.5" speakers in the back shelf and 2 new JVC 6.5" in the doors of my sedan. its a cheap system but it works for me.

the front speakers run off 2 channels of the 4 ch amp, through the active high pass filter. the sub runs off the other 2 channels (bridged). the back speakers run off the frontloader's outputs, and i have put non-polar caps on them to ruduce bass output (cant remember the value now).

at high volumes it sounds like the back speakers are distorting slightly, but when i fade the othr speakers out, the backs sound fine. i don't think its the sub, cos the sub\amp can go much louder with the bass boost on (i just hate that boomy bass sound tho)

is it possible that the sub is pushing the back speakers to their excurtion limits????? those speakers are pretty old and, being on the back shelf, get lots of sun on them.
Old 23rd January 2009, 06:15 PM   #2
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

I would say run the sub and not the rears and look at them, see if they move. Second, I'd say pick up a better quality amp since they are so cheap, and get an amp for the rears too. Or you could try a sub amp and the jensen on highs might work. I mean for $40 to your door you could have a sub amp with plenty of power, if you shop some. I will not run speakers off a HU, its only 18rms or something max. A good 2x30 is much better. Also make sure you have sufficient power to the HU and amp.
Old 26th January 2009, 12:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

unfortunately, being a student, amps aren't exactly so cheap. and like i siad, i can play the sub a lot louder than i do - i prefer not to because doing so means i have to switch on the bass boost on the amp and the bass gets too boomy.

i am also not too concerned about the back speakers - i can turn them down cos my front speakers are amped up.
Old 26th January 2009, 03:15 PM   #4
jol50 is offline jol50  United States
diyAudio Member

Only way I know is to visibly look at the speakers to see if the sub makes them move. It would have to xmax them (bottom) or nearly to affect them or make distortion/etc. I'd say shop around, maybe different there but I can fine stuff cheap here of good brands or large cheap amps even used speakers I got a 10 and new box for $30 once.
Old 27th January 2009, 12:19 AM   #5
shagone is offline shagone  United States
diyAudio Member

I'd suggest removing your back speakers entirely and turning off the head units built in amp if possible. i think you will be suprised at the improvement in the front sound stage and your bass will port into the cabin much better.
Old 27th January 2009, 02:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

i was seriously thinking about doing that, but i often have people in the back and would like them to enjoy the music too ;-)

plus i dont know if my mids can can supply enough sound on their own.
Old 11th February 2009, 10:09 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

well i tweaked up the gains on my front mids, so i dont have to turn the frontloader up so much to get the same output, and it seems the distorion has reduced. is it possible that the pre-amp on the frontloader was distorting??

got another problem that i don't know how to fix. my front doors have plastic between the door and the inside panel (waterproofing i guess)

well i think this plastic is vibrating when the speakers hit certain frequencies - and makes a crackling type sound (similar to crossover disortion). i know its not the speaker or the amp 'cos when i take the speaker out of the door, it sounds fine. i don't really want to take the plastic out so i'm not too sure what to do. i have also heard of foam "enclosures" for door mounted speakers but i haven't seen anywhere that sells them.

any ideas???

Hide this!Advertise here!