Audiophile Quality 6x9s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok recently I got a 1991 Grand Am and me being someone that loves audio wanted to put new head unit, speakers, and more in.. I replaced the back 6x9s but they aren't what I'm looking for as the sound quality isn't the best. I have searched the internet and found nothing on what is the best pair of 6x9s to get as far as quality goes. It is of course an infinite baffle so yea. Any help would be greatly appreciated... Thank you for your time.

Try the DLS 7"x10", they work great.Largest cone area available.
2" voice coil,1" dome tweeter
30 or 40oz. magnet...
They love power.....You wont be diappointed...

Poly cone,rubber surround..... External passive x-over

Mounting can be tricky,under mounting is recommended

Research everything before you buy anything and know what sort of results your expecting

SIRDRINKSALLOT said:
Have you thought about mounting a tweet and a small woofer to a plate that would fit the 6X9 cutout?

Vintage EPI LS70

Attachments

• epi-ls70b.jpg
    epi-ls70b.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 196
Audiophile , 6x9, and rear speakers, are all statements that do not belong together.

No audiophile would ever use 6x9's, and no audiophile would ever consider buying top notch 6x9's to put behind themselves.

If your looking to make your grand am sound good, then spend your money on a quality headunit, quality speaker amp, and a quality set of component speakers up front.

intensem1rider said:
Audiophile , 6x9, and rear speakers, are all statements that do not belong together.

No audiophile would ever use 6x9's, and no audiophile would ever consider buying top notch 6x9's to put behind themselves.

If your looking to make your grand am sound good, then spend your money on a quality headunit, quality speaker amp, and a quality set of component speakers up front.

That is a matter of your opinion. But I would agree a good HU/processors/front drivers are most important for SQ. Amp does not have to be great to make good sound, but some work better than others for various reasons.

There is nothing wrong with oval speakers, some high priced home equipment uses them. There is nothing wrong with rear speakers, though a matter of user choice, I just want a left channel and the rear gives me that. Otherwise the left is pretty much in front of me and mono. I hate mono.

IMO larger mids are better in general, 6x9 is larger.

6X9's Hummm.. Nope :whazzat:

Ill take a good set of separates any day of the week myself. Something about that oval cone and distortion... but who knows maybe I got a tin ear...Plus you have to look at a bunch of other things when dropping in rear speakers in a rear deck.

May I also suggest what Ford JBL did they mounted a 4' and a tweet in a 6X9 plastic enclosure so it would drop into a 6X9 hole and called it premier sound by JBL for many years...but no oval cones were used...:xeye:

Lots of options other then 6X9's and lots of fit ups to make non 6x9 setups work in that Detroit designed speaker hole....Best of luck on your upgrades.

KAR690Q, NLA but perhaps eBay?

A long time ago Kef made a set of car 6x9's (KAR 690Q). They were based on their UniQ drivers, so they had a 1" soft dome tweeter mounted in the magnet for the midbass. Nicely made with 'real' external crossover.

I have a pair, they sound much better than all the other 'car' speakers I heard at the time, which included Soundstream, Infinity, etc etc.

At the time I was willing to spend a lot of money to get good sound and these were the only things that came close, 15 (?)years ago...talk about old school...

I still use them driven by Soundstream Reference 200s in high power mode

HTH

Stuart

jol50:
That is a matter of your opinion.

Agreed.

In fact many, many, many folks are of the opinion that audiophile and car audio are statements that don't belong together.

From M50's original post, I didn't get the idea that he was looking for the pinnacle of audio experiences out of this system.

In that light, *I* believe that he can fulfill his goal with a pair of 6x9's in the rear deck as a part of his system.

And indeed there are many other options that will provide good sound from that 6x9 location.

Stuart Easson:
A long time ago Kef made a set of car 6x9's

And they made well-reviewed oval drivers for home use, too.

Stuart Easson: quote: A long time ago Kef made a set of car 6x9's And they made well-reviewed oval drivers for home use, too.

Yes they did, and they did sound rather good, but as I recall the Oval cones were substantially reinforced to counter act distortion related issues of uneven force loading across the oval cone.
I even recall a solid filled oval cone driver of there's. Lots of innovation from KEF working around oval cones known issues. Shame you can't find such things nowadays... Miss those KEF drivers, but alas even back then I could not afford there products as I recall they were rather pricey.

Plus for $300.00 for a set of 6X9's, well that money can buy some nice separates nowadays... But you guys did a nice round up of 6x9's for this fella. He should be able to pull something together with all the info that was sent his way...:)

my theory behind it is....

I didn't mean to step on anyone, if you don't want rears then don't have them. But saying 6x9 suck is not accurate, that mostly comes from the 80s when the thin paper cones flexed like crazy because people had way more power on them than they were made for. Today they have square subs, I don't think it would have been possible to make them back then. I like stereo, a wide stage. Having a rear pull the left back is the only way I can get it. A good coax (one tweeter and not a bright one) at partial power seems to work fine back there for me, I tried comps and never saw a benefit. They also make midbass like crazy, much more than a comparable 6.5 in my experience. That is why if I have a 6x9 hole I will search for 6x9s that work not comps. Lack of midbass can lead to poor blending of the sub.

The only other issue I have with cone flex is that I don't buy into perfect SQ at high volumes anyway, your ear does not even work the same at high db. Given those ancient speakers would flex on a 2x30 amp but the new ones don't. I suppose if you are going to put $500 of deadening in your car and try to go full SQ you might choose drivers that mostly exclude 6x9s, but I've had some that sounded very nice in daily drivers. Plus they have the advantage of making bass more like an 8".

I never had the amazing priced drivers either, or good luck with special drivers. I had a set of Babb 6x9 once that some people rave about, I thought they were pure junk and gave them away. The best ones I recall were sansui 6x9 but the tweeters would let go here and there. They had black poly cones IIRC and that must have been around '90 or so. Some alpines and infinity I used were good but it has been a while since I bought new. Most triax were too bright.

I guess it also depends on the install what would work better. Quad-axial 7x10, two pair, worked awesome on an open boat. It was like being in a bar or dance club and they would go loud....but I'd never use them in a car unless I had a lot of cloth over them and even then.:whazzat:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.